Thread: <windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt

<windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt

I am having a Dell pc at my home. It is just an month old and looks to be working fine. But somehow there is a problem with my system. When I start my pc I am getting a weird error message on my screen. The message says that I can't boot up because <windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt. I am getting a similar error after that which is about some DRIVERS NTFS.SYS. I had tried to work on the error to fix the same but yet not able to find any solution for the same. Can anyone here help me to fix he problem.

Re: <windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt

You have to format your pc and install windows back again. And if you system is under warranty then you might contact the manufacturer for help. I am having a dell system and I got the same issue. I got that fixed through dell support guy. So you have to do the same thing. You just need t contact the service center. It is an OS fault. And if you try to modify the same via your own self you might loose the original operating system. That is one of most complicated part of formatting.

The question was here about an error that the user is receiving. The error is <windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt." It looks that your system is facing some serious issue with the system files. I have also received this message on my laptop. But my laptop is having a recovery partition. I restored the entire operating system back and issue is solved. There is no problem now. Things looks to be really working fine now.

Its a QuickHeal Antivirus Error

The latest Quick Heal Antivirus detects ntoskrnl.exe as a trojan and deletes it automatically for you. Once i rebooted, i realized that it is an operating system file and that windows requires it for it boot. To fix it, just put in your original XP CD, select "R" at the recovery console, and cd to the i386 folder of the XP cd. E:\i386\copy ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. This should fix it most probably. If it doesn't add another line. E:\i386\copy pci.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys

I am having the same problem but it will not let me boot windows so that it will pick up the windows cd. Keeps going to a black screen telling me to start windows in safe mode but tries then goes back to the black screen.. Even when I tell it to boot from cdrom....back to black screen....

Help....please

Re: Its a QuickHeal Antivirus Error

I tried AnAgile suggestion and keyed in the command below in the recovery console but the message came back:

The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

Has anyone else had luck reinstalling the ntoskrnl.exe file from recovery console?

HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnAgile View Post
    The latest Quick Heal Antivirus detects ntoskrnl.exe as a trojan and deletes it automatically for you. Once i rebooted, i realized that it is an operating system file and that windows requires it for it boot.

To fix it, just put in your original XP CD, select "R" at the recovery console, and cd to the i386 folder of the XP cd.

E:\i386\copy ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

this should fix it most probably. If it doesnt add another line.
    E:\i386\copy pci.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys

Hope this helps

If the ntoskrnl.exe file is distorted or missing this can also produce the error. To restore this file pursue the beneath steps.
    1. Place in the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not tenacity your concern.
    2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should notice a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
    3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
    4. Select the operating system you desire to repair, and then enter the administrator password.
    5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    6. You will then be prompted if you desire to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
    7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

Alondra, thank you for the reply. When I type the expand command ACCESS DENIED. The recovery console never asks for an admin password so that may be an issue. When I press R on the blue screen for recovery it goes straight in the black dos screen with the C promt. I am never asked for any passwords.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

If you are not getting it work with the issue of yours then i will advise you to repair the Windows. On the first screen of the installation of Windows XP just hit enter for fresh installation. Hit F8 to accept the agreement of Microsoft. Now Press R to repair the Windows. So if you can then go through the same and see whether this is working for you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
    If you are not getting it work with the issue of yours then i will advise you to repair the Windows. On the first screen of the installation of Windows XP just hit enter for fresh installation. Hit F8 to accept the agreement of Microsoft. Now Press R to repair the Windows. So if you can then go through the same and see whether this is working for you or not.
    Had the same issue as mentioned in the title. This suggestion did the trick for me

Hi everyone, i have a compac netbook and i have what appears to be the same problem. When i open my netbook ut says: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Quote Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
    I tried this but i can't get to this step, when i boot from windows cd it starts windows setup, but then says Setup is starting windows, then i get this: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for virus on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A22524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

Please, can someone help.

Quote Originally Posted by megamage View Post
    Hi everyone, i have a compac netbook and i have what appears to be the same problem. When i open my netbook ut says: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I tried this but i can't get to this step, when i boot from windows cd it starts windows setup, but then says Setup is starting windows, then i get this: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for virus on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A22524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

Please, can someone help.
    Are you getting the prompt "Press any key to boot CD/DVD" or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by fredie121 View Post
    Are you getting the prompt "Press any key to boot CD/DVD" or similar?
    Yes, then i press any key and then windows setup starts, its a blue screen and its loading some files.