Thread: Access is denied. , error from ipconfig, ping, netsh, etc.

Access is denied. , error from ipconfig, ping, netsh, etc.

I have acer laptop which is running on Windows XP SP2 with same problem with SP3. I am able to connect to internet, actually I think this happened when I went to some "test your security" sites. I also have the full admin access. Whenever I try to run any network command then I know from the command shell I get "Access is denied", be it ipconfig, netsh, ping, etc. I am using a linksys router and it can see my pc and its networ ip address. The different computers on the network do not have this issue, only this one. I even tried to repair installation of XP, also with no change. I also tried to uninstall all network components I can, all but TCP/IP and then reinstalling them but to no avail. Any ideas?

Re: Access is denied. , error from ipconfig, ping, netsh, etc.

It seems that I am having a lot or issues. I am not able to run anything from the command prompt, nor attribute, sfx, etc to name a few. Whenever trying to do something from the commands then I get the "Access is denied" error. Please help.

Re: Access is denied. , error from ipconfig, ping, netsh, etc.

There must be a hidden admin account in Windows and the password for this account is normally blank. So, when you are at the welcome screen, then press the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys 2 times to display the windows logon box. After that type in "Administrator" without quotes and the default password is blank, that is, there is no need to enter anything. Check by using this account, you are still having the problems.

For anyone else having this problem...

Try looking at
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun]
    or the equivalent on your system.

If you rename the exe file, does it allow you to run the program? If so then try searching the registry for the filename.