Thread: How to install missing file?

How to install missing file?

I wanted to create more hard drive space,so I uninstalled many programs that I was not using any more. After removing all the unwanted programs, the computer told me to reboot. After doing that, windows wont start and started giving me an error message that says "Windows cannot start because the file <windows root> system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install the file." Any ideas?

Re: How to install missing file?

Are you able to find it in the C:\I386 location?

You can retrieve the hal.sys file from the Windows CD. Just go to start and then run and then type msconfig and then click the expand file button. Or you can extract a new copy of the hal.dll from the Windows CD to the windows\system 32 folder on your hard disk. You can do the same by typing the below lines at a command prompt, pressing enter after each line, where CDROMDRIVE is the drive letter of the CD Rom drive that contains the

extract D:\i386\hal.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\hal.dll

good morning! i am having the same problem. but how can i get to dos mode? windows wont load and my cd cant read the cd. is it possible to extract from usb and how to go to dos when the computer starts?

Quote Originally Posted by restymorales View Post
    good morning! i am having the same problem. but how can i get to dos mode? windows wont load and my cd cant read the cd. is it possible to extract from usb and how to go to dos when the computer starts?
    Have you tried to start the computer by using the Recovery Console, and then running the CHKDSK /rcommand. Note that, you do not have to include the /p switch in the Chkdsk command-line because the /r switch causes the Chkdsk utility to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. This command implies the /p switch.