Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 20-05-2005
Regnar Bang Lyngs?
 
Posts: n/a
Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Hi,

I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro
SP2 workstations.

Problem:

If I try to add a new printer as a normal user I get the following error
(unless the driver has been installed previously):

"A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from
connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator"

If the user is put into the "Power Users" group - everything works well.
I don't want to do that, as ordinary users shouldn't have the other
elevated rights that comes with the "Power User" status.

What am I doing wrong?

Setup:

Print server: Clustered on two member servers in same domain as clients
Clients: Run Windows XP SP2

GPO Settings:
Load and unload device drivers
Everyone, Users, NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers
Disabled

Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior
Silently succeed (none of the drivers are signed)

Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers
Disabled (shouldn't be necessary - none of the drivers are NT drivers)

Point and Print Restrictions
Disabled

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Providers\
LanManPrintServices\Servers\AddPrinterDrivers is set to REG_DWORD 0.

Regards
Regnar

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-05-2005
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297780
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)


"Regnar Bang Lyngs?" <regnar@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:nR7je.4340$Nf6.3492@news.get2net.dk...
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro SP2
> workstations.
>
> Problem:
>
> If I try to add a new printer as a normal user I get the following error
> (unless the driver has been installed previously):
>
> "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting
> to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator"
>
> If the user is put into the "Power Users" group - everything works well. I
> don't want to do that, as ordinary users shouldn't have the other elevated
> rights that comes with the "Power User" status.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Setup:
>
> Print server: Clustered on two member servers in same domain as clients
> Clients: Run Windows XP SP2
>
> GPO Settings:
> Load and unload device drivers
> Everyone, Users, NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>
> Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers
> Disabled
>
> Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior
> Silently succeed (none of the drivers are signed)
>
> Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers
> Disabled (shouldn't be necessary - none of the drivers are NT drivers)
>
> Point and Print Restrictions
> Disabled
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Providers\
> LanManPrintServices\Servers\AddPrinterDrivers is set to REG_DWORD 0.
>
> Regards
> Regnar
>




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-05-2005
Regnar Bang Lyngs?
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> See:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297780


I am not trying to add a Local Printer. I am trying to add a shared
printer on a member server.

As far as I understand http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319939 this
should be possible - also for users that are not Power Users?!

Regnar
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-05-2005
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

See Bruce Sanderson's article at:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Regnar Bang Lyngs?" <regnar@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:eRsAtwPXFHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> See:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297780

>
> I am not trying to add a Local Printer. I am trying to add a shared
> printer on a member server.
>
> As far as I understand http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319939 this
> should be possible - also for users that are not Power Users?!
>
> Regnar
>




Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-05-2005
Regnar Bang Lyngs?
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Regnar Bang Lyngs? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a nagging problem with printers on our Windows XP Pro
> SP2 workstations.


If anybody should run into this problem.

I (or rather we - if I should be fair to my colleagues) have found the
solution. The problems has nothing to do with a GPO (Group Policy).
Actually we had to change some settings on the Windows 2003 (2k3)
Cluster. Apparently Kerberos is needed to gain access to the Print$
share on the virtual server:

1. Open Cluster Administrator
2. Choose the cluster running your virtual print server.
3. In the Groups folder - choose the group owning the print service.
4. Take the print service offline
5. Choose the Name resource.
6. Right click and choose Properties.
7. Go the "Parameters" tab.
8. Check the box "Enable Kerberos Authentication"
9. Take the service back online.

Regards
Regnar
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-02-2006
Donovan Oliver
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2

Actually, it does have something to do with GPO, though not in a way you might normally=
consider. Regnar indicated that their GPO setting for Point and Print Restrictions=
was =E2=80=9CDisabled=E2=80=9D, but I wonder if it is instead =E2=80=9CUnconfigu=
red=E2=80=9D? If it is truly Disabled, then disregard the rest of this comment (unle=
ss you=E2=80=99re interested in the relationship between Kerberos authenticatio=
n and this GPO).

The default state, unconfigured, allows workstations to add a printer connection t=
o any print server in the same AD forest. This policy applies to XP SP1 and later (I beli=
eve). In order for the desktop to comply with this policy, it must confirm that the pri=
nt server is indeed in the same forest as the workstation. Apparently, it can only do t=
his if it can find the print server via its machine object in AD. Enabling Kerberos aut=
hentication forces the creation of a machine object for the virtual server in AD. Oth=
erwise the print server identity does not exist in AD and the desktop assumes the prin=
t server does not exist within the same forest.

See also http://support.microsoft.com/?id=3D888046 (which I hope MS will update=
to include this issue about clustered print servers).
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Adding Network Printer Driver in Windows XP SP2"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Network Printer Driver Error: 0x00000002 on windows 7 pokemon5 Networking & Security 7 01-02-2011 04:10 PM
Windows 7 x64: (0x00000709) error while adding printer. Ikhyd Windows x64 Edition 3 19-01-2011 05:58 PM
Windows 7: Error 0x0000000d when adding a printer through wireless network yummy- Networking & Security 4 08-01-2011 05:05 AM
Please walk me through adding a network printer in Snow Leopard MicroDon Networking & Security 5 20-10-2010 12:43 PM
adding a photocopier to work as a printer on the network Krystyna Networking & Security 2 05-09-2008 01:44 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:49 AM.