Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Soundcard stops Windows starting

Windows XP Support

Old 22-02-2013

Soundcard stops Windows starting

Hi, Have Win XP SP3 and a Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 motherboard.

Recently changed from Creative PCI card to the onboard Realtek sound. This proved very difficult and to get it working I had to follow the instructions here:

forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=115503.0

(Darn, the forum would not let me post the link. You need to add the http bit)

Now I've replaced my Creative card and would like to use it and disable RealTek but with any soundcard inserted (yes, proven to be OK) Windows fails to load. I cannot even get into safe mode.

I do get the Windows logo and blue fuel gauge but after the screen goes black, it stays black and that's you lot - until you take out the soundcard.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks.

Old 23-02-2013

Re: Soundcard stops Windows starting

It seems to be your sound card is having problems with Path of Exile. So what you can do is, right click your Path of Exile Shortcut and it will come up with the below window:

http://i50.tinypic.com/npffyd.jpg

After that, just add "-softwareaudio" after the target, as shown in the image above.
Old 23-02-2013

Took me a while to figure out was 'paths of Exile' was. LOL no, no games involved. This problem concerns the OS booting.
Old 02-03-2013

How did you manage to disable the Realtek onboard sound card? I think that you will need to first of all disable the onboard one and then put the Creative PCI card and install all its drivers to get it working.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: