Thread: Low Disk Space Warning on HP Recovery Disk?

Low Disk Space Warning on HP Recovery Disk?

I am having a HP Pavilion laptop running with Windows Xp os. From last couple of days don’t know why my system gives me and error message in the right bottom system tray saying “low disk space warning”. The error is actually on my Hp recovery drive. I tried running disk cleanup utility but it seems like as this is the recovery partition, disk cleanup doesn’t work on this drive. Even defrag doesn’t work with this.

First of all I don’t have any idea how this disk got so full and not utility seems to be working. So, I need some help from you all. Please help.

Have you tried running any spyware or adware cleaners? if yes, than that has caused the problem here. All recovery partitions, specially Hp’s, used to be the hidden partition on your system and while running any such programs, they enter that partition as well or might have deleted few things that might have tempered the same. Now as HP itself doesn’t provide any installations disk of the softwares that usually remain on the hidden partition, it is very difficult to fix it. The only way I think left is to buy all those softwares manually from any HP store and install them.

Re: Low Disk Space Warning on HP Recovery Disk?

I had same problem on my Pavilion for the same (D: HP_recovery). Mine actually started after I created system recovery DVD. After searching a lot finally I found a fix in form of registry code that fixed mine. So, I’ll suggest you to try out the same. Here it is. When you will open the above registry you will find that there is a key that will actually stop the low disk space error:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
    But before you go for the same, let me tell you that editing registry is very dangerous. Hence always backup your system before you do any such work.

Thanks for sharing the above registry edit friend. That fixed mine too. For users who dont know how to use them, let me tell them how to use it. Just click on the link given above, it will download a file named "lowdiskspace.reg". Save it on desktop or anywhere on the hard drive.

Double-click to run the file, it will prompt you with a warning message saying "REGISTRY EDITOR: Are you sure you want to want to add the information in "C:\..." to the registry?"

You just need to click on Yes and the low disk space message will be fixed. Once done, delete this file from your system.

If you're like me, you're not comfortable messing with the windows registry. An easy way to make this change is to download Tweak UI. It's part of the Powertoys for Windows XP package. Once you've downloaded it, click on taskbar and start menu and uncheck the "warn when low on disk space" option. This will make the appropriate change to the windows registry for you. Log off, then log back on and you're good to go.

In response to above, the recovery partition was probably not tampered with, the message starts to occur once you've made a set of recovery disks as prompted.

T
    Last edited by TWaddell; 23-03-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Ted-

I suggest you stop handing out "advice" (if you can call false accusations and assumptions, advice), at least until you know what you're talking about, if that day ever comes.

That's right, I took the time to become a member of this forum so that I could reply to a post you made nearly four years. That's how much people like you piss me off.

Clearly, you thrive on conflict and being a prick to people. The problem with that is, some less informed people may actually follow your "advice". Anyone who is in the industry can sniff out your BS a mile away. Don't pretend to appear "computer savvy" when you're in fact just getting your jollies off by putting other people down.

Hello,

I have seen the low disk space warning caused by a program like Symantec's Norton 360. It has a auto backup feature that by default writes the data backup to the d: drive, meaning the recovery partition. which in short order fills it up.

You will need to either turn off the auto backup feature in Norton(or what ever it has) or set it to backup to a different drive, like an external hdd or a DVD or CDR. You cannot set(Norton) it to write to anywhere on the C: drive, it wont let you.

If the D: drive is already full, you will need to find the Backup files and move them (or delete) off the D: partition. Be careful not to delete the 'Recovery partition' data.

I hoe this helps.

Roger

BINGO! The Norton's fix did it for me. It's been stuffing backups in there ever since I installed 360. Elected to manually back up from here on out.
    Excellent advice!

Thank you thank you for asking this question and sorry about the rude man who responding about your son. I am an adult and know I did not mess with my computer and I have been having the same problem. It started when I was prompted to create a recover dics and every since then I keep getting this message of low disc space. I am running windows 7 and it takes about 3 hours to start my computer (HP Pavillion p6654y). The computer is about 1 1/2 years old.