Thread: Huge blank space in WinXP "Add or Remove Programs"

Huge blank space in WinXP "Add or Remove Programs"

Hope you guys have understood what I meant to say by the title, if not, I don’t know how can I describe it properly but let me give a try. Today when I opened my Add and Remove program Application to remove a useless toolbar, I saw something new suddenly. There were few applications listed that were not having Remove buttons. Well that’s the problem too but here am talking about the huge space assigned for these listings.

Usually we see proper vertical space provided to all listings, that is about a inch, but few of my installed applications are having more 10 inches space (vertically)I am running Windows XP Pro. Any help to fix this will be appreciated.

One of my friends was having the same problem, in his case the conflict was AutoCad. He just uninstalled and the problem got fixed. So check if you have had installed AutoCad, if it is there, simply remove it and restart the system.

If that is not the problem with your system, than there are few more things I can suggest. First of all Update your antivirus program and scan your system completely for adware/malware or even virus. I’ll suggest you to scan with Spyware Doctor for the same because antivirus are not so effective to catch spywares. If you find some delete it and try repairing your system with XP installation Disk.
    Last edited by FReakMaster; 07-05-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Re: Huge blank space in WinXP "Add or Remove Programs"

Thanks for the suggestion buddy. I tried as you suggested but seems like there is no Spyware on my system. Other than this I also used PC Tools Registry mechanic. When I ran this it reported me few problems for Add/Remove Programs which were actually listed as Low Priority/Value is Invalid. I tried deleting these I was unable because it was asking me for some kind of key I dint know. Do anyone of you have any idea what key is it asking ? Or is there any other way I can delete these entries ?

Blank space in add/remove programs list

I have seen the program of the blank in the add/programs listing and the answer to this is simple. Just open the regedit program and “find” the DisplayIcon tag. Check all the tags for a -0 or -1 in the code line and change the -0 or -1 to a 0. If the display icon code line has a -0 or -1 (especially the -1) it will reserve a large space in the add/remove programs list for the displaying of the related icon which is what causes the large blank space. The code line should only have a “0” or no number after the exe, entry to prevent this problem.

Probably the problem occurs due to AutoCAD. Here is the solution.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}

DisplayIcon was:
    C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Changed to DisplayIcon to:
    C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-0

Problem fixed. Thanks

Great Solution, It Worked Beautifully!!!
    Do Be Careful Editing The Registry.

Beautiful fix!!

I had been trying to figure this blank space deal out(and yes AutoCAD is installed)

Appreciate this!

-K