Thread: Windows Explorer Runtime Error (not related to Internet Explorer)

Windows Explorer Runtime Error (not related to Internet Explorer)

Hope you guys have understood by the title whats the problem am facing. It all started a day ago when I installed yahoo toolbar on my Windows XP SP2 system and scanned using their norton anti spy service. Until I turned of my system at that time everything was fine, but today when i started my PC am just unable to open any of my folder. Whenever I click any folder in Windows Explorer it just crashes. Here is the complete error I get:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    This Application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Please help.

RE: Windows Explorer Runtime Error (not related to Internet Explorer)

If you are asking here for solution, the very first thing you need to is uninstall the toolbar right now. Any third party software you install on your system use to be risky, specially the toolbars. You should not install any toolbar because the usually comes with spyware/junkware/malware. Other than this you should try System Restore to earlier working restore point.

Once you are done if you still get any problem, try doing update Windows Update. It should help you out.

Re: Windows Explorer Runtime Error (not related to Internet Explorer)

Me too having the exactly the same problem that started yesterday since I installed Yahoo Toolbar. There is nothing else I installed recently on this system hence I guess the reason is the same. As per troubleshooting I tried scanning with updated antivirus software and dint found any virus or spyware. When my explorer crashes it tell something like module kernel32.dll. Well, I don’t know what it is. Can you guys help?

I have been through this long time ago but in my case it was neither Yahoo toolbar or kernel32.dll, it was a free download manager causing or crashing my Windows Explorer. Now its true that I dint found any solution on Google, but I figured it out myself doing research.

What I did was I downloaded Shexview and installed. When I launched it it showed me the extension for explorer that I was able to sort. I disabled the extensions that were looking critical for me, restarted my system and done.

You all should try out the same.

1st June 2011. Windows XP Home SP3 on Intel Pentium PC. This old thread has rescued me.

Today, I spent hours tracking down the same, "Windows Explorer search Files and Folders" problem. Merely clicking into the search box would produce the standard MicroSoft error message within only a few seconds. Always, there was the notification to Microsoft and the subsequent re-start of Windows Explorer.

Shexview revealed all. There were only 2 programs that I had installed in the last few days before this trouble began, MalwareBytes and Web Image Studio. Removing MalwareBytes did not resolve the issue. Using Shexview to DISABLE wispreview.dll brought about normal operation of Windows Explorer.

I then proved the point to myself 3 times, just for the fun of it. Disable dll = normal Win Explorer. Enabled dll = Error message.

Please accept my thanks for developing and providing this free utility. I will send a Shexview report to the company that supplied the application and I wonder...

Sincerely,
    Robert Kopp
    Australia

In such situations you will have to try and work it out in the safe mode, so what you have to do is when the system gets started and when you get to see the windows sign at that time press F8. So in the safe mode check whether the same problem is there or not if it is not showing you the same problem then your system is in danger situations of repair installation of windows or reinstallation can also occur, so for the safety just scan your entire system completely with a good antivirus program like avg, so that and are you sure that the problem is not caused by internet explorer i would definitely advice you to stop using that and switch on to firefox that is a much better option.

I had the same problem. Nothing was working.
    In my case was a virus by SearchQU tool bar. Unless uninstall it.
    A file was corrupted by this program.
    I had to use VIRIT antivirus. Fixed!!