Thread: printing is not available...

printing is not available...

Hi,

I have a user whom every time he reboots his network printers stop working. The printers are still listed however there is no longer a default printer selected and when he tries to print He get the message,

"Printing is not available. There are no printers installed. You can select and configure a printer in Windows Control Panel."

If I delete the network printers and then re-add them The first one I add becomes the default printer and my user is able to print again until the next reboot.

The spooler service is running. I am perplexed as I have never run accross this issue before and he is the only one out of 50 users experiencing this issue with the printers.

Re: printing is not available...

Can you try to uninstall and reinstall the printers driver and see if that works, follow the below method:
    1. Click on "Start"
    2. Click on "Control Panel"
    3. Under the "Hardware and Sound" category right click on "Printer" and click on uninstall and then reinstall it again.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Can you try to uninstall and reinstall the printers driver and see if that works, follow the below method:
    1. Click on "Start"
    2. Click on "Control Panel"
    3. Under the "Hardware and Sound" category right click on "Printer" and click on uninstall and then reinstall it again.
    Hi, Thanks for the reply, I have done that reinstalling the printer only fixes the issue until the next reboot.

Have you tried using the print queue to view, pause, resume, restart, and cancel print jobs.
    1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
    2. To open the print queue, double-click the printer that you're using.
    3. If your print jobs are currently printing, you can open the print queue by clicking the printer icon in the notification area.

Thanks to those that tried to help, turns out the issue was only occurring on the user profile. When logged in on the same system as another user printing was fine. I ended up just renaming his profile folder and letting XP create a new on for him. I suspect the root cause was a previously removed malware. Thanks Again.