Thread: Windows XP BSOD help ! ! !

Windows XP BSOD help ! ! !

I have a Dell inspiron b120 with windows xp home, 32 not 64. I have the installation disc. I cannot boot in safe mode or any other mode. I can open recovery console and advanced start up menu fine. if i try to boot any way i get bsod error code. bootcfg /rebuild doesnt work nor does chkdsk. chkdsk says one or more unrecoverable problems, bootcfg says run chkdsk. I cannot delete my partition and reinstall. It tells me the partition cannot be deleted and sends me to bsod. it was running fine until a few days ago. I did nopt install anything new except the required drivers since i just installed xp a month or 2 ago. i used Dell website for all my driver downloads. When i run bootcfg /list it shows windows xp home. The partition says 31000mb with 31000 mb free. my bsod error codes are: 0x00000050 (0xFEE00004, 0x00000000, 0xF7418CAD, 0x00000000)

i have spent 3 days searching forums and while I find this similiar problem a lot, no solutions work. Or they require running programs in windows and I CANNOT open windows in any form, safe, safe w/command prompt or w/ networking.
    Computer geniuses of this forum please help.

Re: Windows XP BSOD help ! ! !

Download UBCD. Create a bootable disc and scan your system. UBCD will help you to find RAM errors and bad sectors in hard drive. There are two reason for which operating system fails. 1st is corrupt hardware or bad sector or improper RAM. Second the Windows disc which you are using is not proper. Try changing the disc once. UBCD has a hard drive test tool which scan for bad sectors. If there are ample of errors then you might need to go for upgrades.

OK Downloaded and saved the UBCD to my desktop. I used Roxio to create a bootable disc. I put it in the laptop and rebooted, went to set up menu and chose boot from CD. I get a black screen that says " missing operating system ". XP is still on the laptop. Did I do something wrong when creating the bootable disc? Roxio media said it was created successfully

Have you checked/set the BIOS setup to Boot from the CD first? The install cd should boot then warn? you that a previously installed Windows exists. An OEM restore disk will probably format the partition and reinstall Windows. It sounds to me that the system is still seeking/reading the C:\ drive for the initial system startup. On my laptops,(Compaq) the XP restore set consists of 3 disks. I also have an XP only(OEM) that installs windows but will not authenticate. The system can only use this disk when a program asks for the Windows CD. I have used this disk to format and alter the 4 partitions on new SSD drives that I upgraded to. Formatting the disk0 partion should allow a clean install.

Hope this helps!.........Joe

Yes I have it set to boot from cd first. My partition says 31000 mb (31000 free) with 7154 mb in an unused partition. I cannot delete the large partition, it forwards me to an error screen then the bsod. When I hit enter to try to reinstall XP in the large partition it says: " an error occurred while setup was updating partition info on: 38155 mb disk 0 at Id on bus 0 atapi [MBR]. setup cannot continue to exit hit F3. when I exit it automatically reboots. i get an error screen also when I try to delete the partition. Why cant i just wipe the partition and start over?

I made bootable discs from UBCD and Avira and where itwould say press any key to boot from disc it says missing operating system. I am at a loss here people. Please help. This computer worked fine a week ago

aborza,

It could be a problem with the cables, so check your cable & power cable. Also try to plug the hard drive in some other computer and scan for bad sector. I think that it should use standard SATA cables so just plug it in and use the desktop to scan it. Hope that gives you some sort of idea where to start.