Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Win XP and System File Checker (SFC)

Windows XP Support

Old 02-11-2011

Win XP and System File Checker (SFC)

Win XP (currently at SP3) came already installed on my Dell desktop - there are no CDs to mount when the msg appears that "files are missing from the dllcache". I have tried loading various files from my Toshiba laptop also running Win XP SP3 and making registry chgs but SFC will not run. In addition even Task Manager won't "kill" it when SFC prompts for CD mount.

About the only thing that hasn't been tried is to reload SP3 and hope that the correct files are installed. But i have never reinstalled a SP and don't know if this procedure is possible or recommended. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Bewildered Bob
Palm Bay, FL

Old 02-11-2011

Re: Win XP and System File Checker (SFC)

If you had not performed a Windows re-installation then it might be a bit difficult to explain. I am giving some easy steps here to do this. Before that I will recommend you to provide the full model number of your system. Because this will help to find the proper drivers for your system. Do not forget to take backup of your important data. Go on the below link and find right drivers for your system. This is important for your audio, video and other hardware to work properly.

Dell Drivers Download

Steps to Re-install Windows :
  • Insert Windows Bootable disc and boot from it.
  • Choose the primary partition which is by default the C drive and hit enter.
  • It will ask you to format. Press F.
  • After formatting Windows CD will copy the content of disc on the drive and will reboot.
  • The setup will begin.
  • After proper installation run all the latest driver update.
I hope that you have Windows License copy so that you can register that on web.
Old 02-11-2011

Hi Vitel: thanx for the quick reply but i do NOT want to reformat the HD - merely reinstall SP3 over existing SP3 while preserving remaining data. The only reason is that SFC seems to be corrupt (or user-feisty) - everything else works well.

Any other suggestions ?

Bewildered Bob
Old 03-11-2011

Download a tool called autopatcher xp full by searching if from google. You will need to tick & enable install of "everything" (even unwanted windows components) and you can always re-run it to uninstall unneeded stuff individually-- but this will ensure you get all the missing AND newest-version of files you need.
Old 06-11-2011

Thanx for the post. Autopatcher was located thru Google and downloaded but appears to be several years old with no apparent way to update. It recommended downloading .Net stuff that was many versions behind current modules. Plz advise if i over-looked something. Thanx.

Bob
Palm Bay, FL

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , ,