Thread: Performed Destructive Restore On HP. Now Says "Windows Could Not Start Because ..."

Performed Destructive Restore On HP. Now Says "Windows Could Not Start Because ..."

"Windows Could Not Start Because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root >\System32\HAL.DLL Please install a copy of the above file."

Of course the HP recovery disc is ON the hard drive, so that doesn't do me much good.

This HP PC is running Windows XP, and was given to me with a "I know you need a computer - this one works, but ... GOOD LUCK!" Initial scans discovered a couple dozen viruses and trojans. I cleaned those, but just more viruses and trojans. Figured destructive recovery/restore from the D drive -- a mirror image of the OS -- was the only hope. Wipe everything, reload, start over.

Now the above message on boot, and it won't go anywhere else -- EXCEPT when I press F11, then I get to AWARDBIOS CMOS SETUP. But I don't know what to do when I get there.

If the C drive is damaged, can I boot it from the D drive? ... or is this just a doorstop? Thanks for any advice :)

Re: Performed Destructive Restore On HP. Now Says "Windows Could Not Start Because ..."

BTW, this is a HP Pavilion 753N.

Re: Performed Destructive Restore On HP. Now Says "Windows Could Not Start Because ..."

Well, if the windows was vastly infected by viruses and trojans then it will be better to reformat all the drives and clean install the Windows XP operating system again in your computer. Place your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and Reboot your PC. XP's setup program will automatically start and files will be loaded to memory and then choose to clean install.

Yeah, but see, the WindowsXP recovery disk is on the drive.

The Pavilion had a D partition that holds it. It's supposed to reinstall windows after it wipes everything else. So I'm presuming it's still there, but maybe can't load because part of the hard drive was damaged ... Maybe? So can I change the boot option so it boots the D partition directly instead? How?

On F11, I get System Recovery. I clicked "Advance" along with Alt+D at the same time and searched for c:\boot.ini at the prompt. It says:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT

[operatingsystems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

c:\minint\system32>

Does any of that mean anything to anybody? HELP,please:(

THANKS!

HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software. Recovery discs for Windows XP are available from HP for a minimal cost.