Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Explorer.exe not booting. Need major help.

Windows XP Support

Old 17-09-2011

Explorer.exe not booting. Need major help.

So, yeah. Explorer.exe will NOT automatically boot up when logging in. I seriously don't know what could have caused this.

I can't use safe mode because my computer is so jacked up and I have to type the admin password and I get a floppy diskette failure thing where I have to press F1 to boot or F2 to go to the configure screen thingy.

I can however, load explorer.exe with task manager, but only on certain accounts. On my MAIN account, it tells me that an admin disabled task manager when I NEVER did anything like that. I wouldn't even know how. This is really bad because all my files and everything I worked on are on my main account, leading me to create another account (which I'm using right now). I can't transfer my files because I get the "access is denied" error.

Please, I desperately need help. I don't want to have format my hard drive AGAIN and lose everything important! :(((

Old 20-09-2011

Re: Explorer.exe not booting. Need major help.

Have you turned off the rundll32 in MSCONFIG from starting. If you have done so then explorer will never work.
Old 25-09-2011

Nope. I wouldn't even know how. :(
Old 25-09-2011

Which windows operating system are you using. If you have a Windows CD you may be abe able to restore an original set of registry hives using the Recovery Console. It's possible you may have some corrupted files and to restore these you would need your installation disc. You could also check out and verify the following registry key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDesktop

It should be not present or if present the value should be 0
Old 27-09-2011

This is the XP forum, so shouldn't I be using XP?

But if I use the Windows CD and reinstall my OS wouldn't that delete all my files?

Also how do I change the registry key? regedit does not show that "HKCU" directory.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,