Thread: Cannot Connect to Internet through Wireless

Cannot Connect to Internet through Wireless

Hello,

I have a Dell laptop with windows xp. I can connect to the internet through a LAN connection but not wirelessly. I have another laptop that will connect wirelessly. I have tried to ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew. Nothing works. I'm sure that I am doing something wrong. Please help. The TCP/IP settings are set to automatically. When I put in ipconfig/all this is what I get:

Autoconfiguration IP Address...169.254.177.1
    Subnet Mask...255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway...:

Please help - and thank you in advance

Re: Cannot Connect to Internet through Wireless

Can you check if your wireless network is encrypted? If you are using WPA or WPA2 the wireless card may not support it. Have you installed the proper wireless drivers for your dell machine? What is the make or model of this dell laptop that you have? You can click here to download the drivers for your laptop automatically, see if that works.

Thank you for the Reply. By wireless network encryption - do you mean if there is a password? If so, yes, there is.

I updated the wireless driver which says it added WPA functionality to Windows XP. But that doesn't seem to work. It now says no wireless connection available (although I see our network)

I have a Dell Latitude C610.

What router or wireless hardware are you using for connecting the Dell Latitude C610. Can you try to reset the settings and again set up the wireless connection with the laptop? Also, can you first try to disable the lan connection and enable the wireless connection and check if that works or not. On your other laptop, does the wireless and lan connection work flawlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by big fish View Post
    What router or wireless hardware are you using for connecting the Dell Latitude C610. Can you try to reset the settings and again set up the wireless connection with the laptop? Also, can you first try to disable the lan connection and enable the wireless connection and check if that works or not. On your other laptop, does the wireless and lan connection work flawlessly?
    It is a Linksys router. Yes, on the other laptop, the wireless and LAN connection work flawlessly. When I did ipconfig/all this is what I see now:

DHCP enabled: Yes
    Auto config enabled: yes
    Auto config IP Address: 169.254.177.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: NOTHING

Thanks again for all of your help - it is much appreciated.

Did you test your connection via a wired connection to your router? Have you tried power cycling your router? Have you tried resetting your router (this will return all router settings to factory defaults)? Are you using the del utility to manage the wireless connection or windows. The Dell utility is not good at all. Make sure you check the box to allow window to manage the wireless connection and remove the dell utility.