Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

HP C3100 All-In-One will not install -- Access is denied.

Windows XP Support

Old 08-06-2011

Re: HP C3100 All-In-One will not install -- Access is denied.

Can you do a system restore back to a state before the trojan attacked your pc? I think that some of the system files of the Operating System could be corrupt which is why you are not able to install the printer and its driver. If for instance the system restore doesnt work as well, then try to do a repair install of windows xp and then after that install the printer.
Old 08-06-2011

Simond,
Thank you for these pointers. As a matter of fact, I tried restoring to an earlier date, but that did not change the problem. I had wanted to do a "repair install" of the OS, but I do not have my OS disk with me. I am about 10 hours travel from my office, and do not know when I will be able to return there. I am hoping to visit the capital, Kampala, next week. I have a Ugandan friend who might have an OS disk I can borrow. I really think what you have said is true. Thanks. :) Oh, I did have this question. If I tried reinstalling XP sp-2 from the file in My Downloads (from years ago), do you think that would help? I feared that it might fail to install, and in the process, my computer might not even be usable. Thanks again.

Last edited by Pastor_Chick : 08-06-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2011

You need to have a operating system disc in which you can slipstream the service pack 2 for windows xp by burning it to another disc, without slipstreaming you cannot use the service pack 2 all alone. Another point is, you should update to the latest service pack available for windows xp which is needed for full support of latest drivers and hardware.
Old 09-06-2011

I have used several HP PSC printing devices. None of them seemed to be re-installable after the first setup crashed/corrupt. The fix in 2002, was a special scrubber/unistall program(psc950) from HP that was needed to remove the printer after the device was removed through the add/remove section in XP. Check you CD for a scrubber/uninstaller located somewhere in the CD's files. My newer PSC units have an uninstall program on the CD. On the one I'm viewing, it's labeled "gr_uninst". Find this on your CD and run it. Reboot and try another new install. hope this works!......Joe
Old 09-06-2011

I have faced the same issue on mine system as well and to solve this issue I have followed the below steps:
  1. First make click on the start and after that go to the control panel.
  2. Now on the control panel go to the printer and after that make click on the add printer.
  3. Now on the add printer make select on the Add a local printer and after that choose the create new port.
  4. Now you will get the new windows and under that type the \\computer name\printer name that you have and after that hit the ok button and then go through your issue.
Old 09-06-2011

simond, jj, and Abbie,
Thanks to all of you. Now I have something to "chew" on. If I succeed, I will certainly post the fix here.
Old 10-06-2011

OK, Joe, I found no scrubber utility for the C3100.
Abbie, what you suggested did not work. :(

I hope to obtain an OS disk next week for a possible repair of the OS.
Old 10-06-2011

Method three
Use this method if Uninstall is not available in the Windows Start menu.
Disconnect the unit from the computer.
Insert the green Windows software CD into the CD-ROM in the computer. If the startup screen does not display, use the following steps to display the startup screen manually:
Click Start .
Click Run . The Run dialog box displays.
In the Open: text box, type D:\setup.exe , where D is the letter of the CD-ROM drive, and then click OK .
Select Uninstall and then follow the instructions that display on the screen.
Restart the computer.
This is from the HP C3100 troubleshooting pages.
Old 10-06-2011

Joe,
I saw that on the HP site. Unfortunately, the software is not installed to be UNinstalled. When I tried to re-install and ran into the "Access is denied" lock-up, the CD supposedly uninstalled everything with instructions to reboot. So, some techs have said there is a "permissions" issue in the registry. I went through a couple of involved reg edits, and still no success. On the positive side, the laptop works better than it ever has regarding everything else. Thanks.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,