Thread: XP Sony VAIO can't boot:BlackScreen

XP Sony VAIO can't boot:BlackScreen

Right now, I'm trying to diagnose this problem but thus far, I have been unable to properly do so. My XP for some apparent reason starts but when prompted to the window's loading screen, turns black. I have conducted some research into looking at other people with the same problem however, I feel that my case is slightly different.

Prior to this event, I ran avg and antimalware to quarantine and get rid of some viruses. Upon the scan completion, I was prompted to a message that asked me to restart which I said no. I accidentally forced a computer shutdown by pressing the power button. Ever since, my computer is unable to boot properly.

This is some info detailing when I press f2 on my computer. I have tried and attempted to run the computer on safe mode doesn't work. I only included things I thought were important. I have removed all disks and usb cords that were plugged into my comp.

BIOS SETUP UTILITY
    >Primary IDE master: [Sony DVD RW DW-]
    >Primary IDE slave:[HL-DT-STDVD-ROM SD]
    >Third IDE master: [ST320620AS]
    >Third IDE slave:[Not Detected]
    >Fourth IDE master:[Not Detected]
    >Fourth IDE slave:[Not Detected]
    Boot Settings
    >Boot Device Priority
    PM-SONY DVD RW DW
    1ST FLOPPY DRIVE
    3M-ST3250620AS
    Hard Disk Drive
    1. 3M-ST3250620AS
    2. Sony UMH-U HS-MS
    3. Sony UMH-U H S-CF
    4. Sony UMH-U HS-XD
    5. Sony UMH-U HS -SD/M

I apologize for the lengthy comment but I really need to get this computer fixed up. I'm not a computer-saavy expert in the field but if there are any misconceptions, please message me and I'll try my best to rectify the misunderstanding.

Re: XP Sony VAIO can't boot:BlackScreen

Just follow the below steps:
    Resume your computer, logon and wait for the black screen to emerge
    1. Make Ctrl + Alt + Del: not anything emerges on screen, up till now the task manager was opened. We will have to do the rest in the dark, and this is where we thank the keyboard shortcuts) (to be secure, you can do the similar process on another pc to side to notice what it does)
    2. Make Alt + F: it unlocks the File menu of Task Manager, but we at a standstill see not anything
    3. To Enter: it unlocks the "Create a new job," but we at a standstill see not anything
    4. Enter "cmd" after that "Enter”
    5. After that start again your computer it rebooted usually, and all is well.

i think this is your solution.

Well the scan that you made must have damaged the operating system because it happens in some cases where the process is not completed properly then you will definitely get the problem regarding the same and now to get rid of this issue I want you to just reinstall the operating system which you are using and that will only help you to get the appropriate view regarding the same. I hope that you are getting my point.

Just follow the below steps:
    Resume your computer, logon and wait for the black screen to emerge

Make Ctrl + Alt + Del: not anything emerges on screen, up till now the task manager was opened. We will have to do the rest in the dark, and this is where we thank the keyboard shortcuts) (to be secure, you can do the similar process on another pc to side to notice what it does)
    Make Alt + F: it unlocks the File menu of Task Manager, but we at a standstill see not anything
    To Enter: it unlocks the "Create a new job," but we at a standstill see not anything
    Enter "cmd" after that "Enter”
    After that start again your computer it rebooted usually, and all is well.

i think this is your solution.
    When I boot up my computer, I get the two splash screens (Vaio and Intel), then the black screen. I tried exactly what you suggested but unfortunately, the black screen still persists. Are there any other alternatives?

Well the scan that you made must have damaged the operating system because it happens in some cases where the process is not completed properly then you will definitely get the problem regarding the same and now to get rid of this issue I want you to just reinstall the operating system which you are using and that will only help you to get the appropriate view regarding the same. I hope that you are getting my point.
    Well yes however, I am uncertain as to how much a virus can or to the extent at which it may inflict upon a computer's booting process. If you are correct, how can I reinstall my computer's operating system? Does that mean all the information and data on my hard drive would be cleared/deleted and if that holds true, how can I extract such data before I reinstall?

Also for clarification, the only thing I can press are f2 and f11 as the other commands or disabled...I tried pressing f8 with little success. But other than that, thanks guys for helping out and also your constructive input! Hopefully, I can get this fix with your help.

I'm not going to review this post seeing that I received little or no replies for this impending issue. Please lock this.

I can give you one solution if it works for you just try and remove your hard drive and attach to some other PC and take all the data out of it. Now as you have your data you can format your computer and get your data again. Just let me know if this helped you out. Or else I will find some other solution and don't worry be in touch your problem will be solved over here for sure.

Hello Elijah,

Thank you for making some effort to revive this issue. As for what you suggested, will there be issues in terms of removing the hardrive due to incompatibility (if I remove the hardrive of my Vaio computer and if so, will I need to obtain a computer with similar XP properties)? Are there other alternatives to which I can approach (say, transferring hardrive info with a hardrive usb connector)?

So my understanding is the only probable solution is removing everything on my hardrive prior to me proceeding to engage in reinstalling and reformatting my computer. As by formatting Elijah, are you implying that I reinstall my computer?

And by far, I haven't really reached clarification as to why my computer can't boot properly. I've been using my XP Vaio fo about 5years and just suddenly, it crashes and experiences these booting symptoms. Is it just an old computer or have I done something I shouldn't have and hence, contributed to this unwanted ordeal.

Well thanks again for your generous and most helpful input. Hopefully, I may acquire some future support and assistance from this forum.

The best solution for the problem that you are facing here is to consult the officials of Sony I mean the customer care and let them know the problem faced by you I am sure that doing the same will definitely help you out of the problem that you are facing because they are the one who are trained to provide the appropriate help required.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTaker View Post
    The best solution for the problem that you are facing here is to consult the officials of Sony I mean the customer care and let them know the problem faced by you I am sure that doing the same will definitely help you out of the problem that you are facing because they are the one who are trained to provide the appropriate help required.
    Well, I like to see if my options are viable at this point before I consult a trained Sony technician. However in this forum, I've encountered many great suggestions put forward and hence, feel that there is still some hope for this dire issue. Therefore, I like to diagnose this issue personally but if my attempts do avail and the critical circumstances do unveil themselves, I will thus consult Sony help ONLY if my options are failing. It will be my last option if I can't receive any help here to remedy my personal booting dilemma.
    Last edited by queenz_royale; 18-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Please lock the thread. I've found a way to circumvent this problem by transferring everything from my hardrive to a portable one. I reinstalled windows and I don't seem to have the problem. Thanks again for the input everyone.