Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP C3100 All-In-One will not install -- Access is denied.

HP C3100 All-In-One will not install -- Access is denied.

I am not able to re-install C3100 series printer software/drivers. It was installed and drivers became corrupted, presumably after some Trojan Horses invaded. Since that time, when I use the installation CD, I receive the same error message which I will attach screen-shots for (3 gif files). I have changed permissions in the registry according to some online tech advice. I have tried eliminating /spool/ folder in /System32/ of windows. Thank you for your assistance. I am using Windows XP Home sp-2. I have not tried re-installing sp-2 (though I did that one time before months ago).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error_1-gif   error_2-gif   error_3-gif  
    Last edited by Pastor_Chick; 02-06-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Re: HP C3100 All-In-One will not install -- Access is denied.

Your system was under Trojan attack, so the best solution according to me is to re-install your HP C3100 All-In-One printer's drivers in your system. You can download the latest available drivers for your printer from the official website of HP. Click on C3100 Printers Drivers to install the drivers for your printers. Also make sure that you have installed an antivirus in your system. Also keep the Antivirus updated. but before doing all this, I would suggest you to first install CCleaner in your system and cleanup your Registry to remove all the unwanted links and corrupt registry entries.

Thank you for the reply. I am a missionary living in Uganda and have limited band-width for downloading files. My original printer CD works great (I installed on another person's computer so that I could use the printer/scanner). I also did use a registry cleaner, and have AVG antivirus software that is auto-updated (not sure how the Trojans penetrated). I have also scanned and cleaned with Malware Bytes. I thought of installing sp-3, but the download is 316 mb which is out of the question for my band-width allotment.
    Any other ideas?

The Original Drivers CD of your C3100 All-In-One printer is also a very good option to install the necessary drivers for your respective printer. Your system is prone to Trojans if your system is in network or it can also get transferred while using Pen-drives/ Flash drives. Make sure that you perform scan before viewing the content of your pendrives. Also you can purchase or get the XP SP3 from the nearest computer store. Windows XP SP2 is pretty much outdated now, so SP3 is more preferable. CCleaner or TuneUp Utilities are better option for solving any registry related issues.

Flash, thank you for your accurate input. I do have about 20 years experience with the basics. I know about vulnerabilities, etc. I do the obvious to avoid viruses/malware, etc. Since I am living in a remote area of Africa, I cannot just run down to the computer store. I am seriously limited here and on a very meager stipend as well. If anyone has a XP sp-3 on disk that they would donate (sending by snail mail), I'd be happy to post the address here. I have posted the screen-shots that might give a clue to the more advanced techs. This one is a bit over my head. Thanks for any more ideas.

I think that some of your startup services might be disabled, so try to enable them by using the MSCONFIG utility to startup the software:

• Click Start , and then click Run . The Run dialog box appears.
    • Type msconfig in the text field, and then click OK . The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.
    • Click the Startup tab.
    • Select the check box next to programs that should run when the computer is turned on. If a program should not run when the computer is turned on, leave the check box clear.
      • CAUTION: Do not disable any Microsoft services.
    • If no changes should be made to startup programs or services, click the General tab, and then select the Normal Startup check box.
    • Click Apply , click Close , and then click Restart to apply the changes and restart the computer.

Thank you, SuperCop,

Of course, that was one of the first things I did. I think this one is a bit more technical.

I think that HP made 8 different models of PhotoSmart C31xx models. Please select your model from the list, so go to the link below and click on your exact model to download the drivers. If you are unsure about the model no. of your HP printer then download belarc advisor that builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, security benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser.

EINSTEIN,
    Thanks for the info. I think I mentioned before that my band-width is limited for downloading. My software CD works fine. I have installed the C3100 on this laptop successfully some months ago. After a Trojan Horse attack, it seems my driver was damaged, requiring re-installation. From that time, access is denied (see the screen-shots). I have successfully installed the software on two other computers since the problem occurred.

If you want to install the right or missing driver

runbox command
    - press: winkey + r
    - paste this: devmgmt.msc
    - press: enter
    - click icon: disks dives
    - see if there is a yellow blob on the icon
    (means driver is missing)
    - right hand click: the yellow blob icon
    - choose uninstall
    - top of the same window click: action
    - click: scan for hardware changes
    (if prompted, direct the search to cd)
    (if reprompted redirect to inside the cd, any file that looks like drivers)

James,
    Thank you for the procedure. I am past that part. If you notice in my initial post, I cannot install the factory driver CD with HP software. It dies early in the install and gives the error posted in the screen-shot above.

According to me, the issue is with the driver CD which you are using to install the drivers for your particular HP C3100 series printer. So I would suggest you to visit the following link of HP Printers (this is the official website of HP America) and insert your HP printer's number and series. Click on Search button and download and install the necessary drivers shown for that particular device. And if you are unaware of the exact name and model number of your HP printer then, you can select the option "Detect your Product". This will allow the website to search for the HP printer connected to your system and automatically detect the drivers needed for it. Make sure that you have connected your printer to the system.

Thanks "G"...
    I have explained my situation in this thread above. The CD is fine. I have installed the device four months ago without event. I used the CD to install the device on two other computers after my laptop rejected the installation. I live in Africa and have no band-width for downloading large files of driver/software from the Internet.

Well, can you tell us whether you have done a USB install because if you had so then you have already created problems for yourself. Most (and this is one of them IIRC) printer installs require that you install the program and driver BEFORE you plug in the printer. If this is the case, remove all traces of the printer from the add printer menu and unplug the printer. Reboot the computer. Put the CD in the drive and if it does not autorun you need to go to the drive in Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and find the setup program and start that. (You won't see any of the files if you are trying to install the drivers from within the Add Printer menu window.) Once the driver files are installed then you plug in the printer and let XP do it's thing.

Ashert,
    Thanks for the information, but I already know those basics. Please read my original complaint and some of my answers. The screen-shots should give a tech person some clues. I am not a novice, but this one is over my head. I have installed this device many times before without event. It was installed on this computer until a Trojan attack seemed to corrupt some files. My anti-virus did find the Trojans upon a full scan, but did not detect them with "Resident Shield."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast