Thread: Monitor brightness contrast Graphics Controller problem xp

Monitor brightness contrast Graphics Controller problem xp

Hi, I'm having a brightness contrast problem with my computer.

I have noticed that the monitor is bright and crisp when I start up the computer, but only up to the first few seconds that the desktop is displayed. Then the desktop image becomes darker.

I'm running Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller with xp home edition on this computer.

The images displayed on this computer have always appeared a bit darker that normal. I've used different monitors on this computer and they have always appeared a bit darker. I'd like to fix this problem because I'm now working with artwork and photos and they're showing up washed out on other peoples computers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, M.

Re: Monitor brightness contrast Graphics Controller problem xp

How old is your monitor and what is the make or model of it? When you say that other monitors show darker image at startup and the monitor which is in fault is brighter when it starts, then it surely is a case of monitor problem. You can try upgrading the graphics controller driver by downloading it from here and check whether it fixes the issue or not.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but no it's not the monitor. It's definitely the video card driver.

I've changed my driver to an older version which is 6.14.10.3762. I'm not sure which version I had before. I opened the "graphics controller properties" and just changed one setting and the screen flicked brighter. The monitor looks the way it should.

Great, but there's a PROBLEM. After I restart the computer, the monitor is dark again. I open the "graphics controller properties" and touch another button and the screen flickers to a brighter normal look again.

So I'm on the right path. I now know it's something with the driver. Any suggestions on what's going on here?

By the way, Itel wasn't able to offer a new driver for my computer, which is a Dimension 3000. I went to Dell and found some drivers for this computer at http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid= .

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    How old is your monitor and what is the make or model of it? When you say that other monitors show darker image at startup and the monitor which is in fault is brighter when it starts, then it surely is a case of monitor problem. You can try upgrading the graphics controller driver by downloading it from here and check whether it fixes the issue or not.

It’s surely your graphic cards issue. Just try to change the graphic card and then let me know whether it works for you or not. And yes, as you say about the computer property settings then I must add that, your monitor almost surely has settings for brightness, contrast, gamma, and lots of additional display properties. These are most likely accessed by fiddling with the keys on the monitor. One button should call up a menu when other buttons will allow you step through the menus and make selections. Pushing your brightness setting up 10 percent or more should make a quite significant dissimilarity.