Thread: windows cannot install required files. error code 0x80070017

windows cannot install required files. error code 0x80070017

i have 2 desktops both with windows xp, a few days ago one got infected with the google redirect virus, i used malwarebytes and microst security essentials to get rid of it, i thought that was the end of it, not even a few hours after that the computer had a new infection one of those fake anti-viruses that try to get you to buy their software to get rid of infections that arent even there and to make you belive that something is wrong it starts locking up your system and sending fake error reports

i got pissed off and fed up with it and instead of trying to resolve the new issue i decided to attempt to clean the HD and install windows vista and thats where i ran into a major problem at start up

"bootmgr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart" after doing so it takes me back to the same message

when i tryed to install vista it copied the files just fine when when it expanded it stops at 0% and i get the error message "windows cannot install required files. the file may be corrupt or missing make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation error code 0x80070017

-i only have windows vista install disk
    - i DO NOT any longer have a windows xp install disk

Re: windows cannot install required files. error code 0x80070017

Have you tried to run the Chkdsk.exe tool to check the disk for errors? Follow the below steps:

1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.
    3. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk next time that the system restarts.
    4. Close all applications, and then restart the computer. Note During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors and then starts.
    5. After the computer has restarted, try installing again.

If the above steps do not help, then check the KB articleā€¯ Error message when you try to install Windows Vista: "Windows is unable to find a system volume which meets its criteria for installation" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938984

thanks for taking the time to reply but i wish you would have read my post a little better, i cant get the computer to start up so i cannot click start nor any of the other steps you suggested but i do thankyou for taking notice of my problem and atleast taking the time to try and help

Well, to be honest, the error message is quite clear about what it's missing. The files on the disk are likely corrupt and cannot be read. If it were a problem with the drive or antivirus detection in the system bios interfering, it would stall much earlier. Did you check the validity of the download. Another possibility. You will need to chek the same dvd again on some another computer's dvd drive.

the dvd is a dell (which is what both my computers are) windows vista install disk for vista home premium 32bit, its not a download