Thread: Running chkdsk from startup

Running chkdsk from startup

Hey all,

I had to do a hard shutdown of my machine, and I corrupted something. When I start up, it goes into CHKDSK, gets to about 18% on stage 1 of 3, and then hangs (I left it overnight, it didn't do anything)

Running the on board diagnistics return error code 2000-0142 (hard disk failure, basically), but my laptop dual boots Linux and XP, and the linux partition works fine. So at least part of the drive has not failed and the damage is localized to the XP partition. I can still access XP from Linux, so I was able to back up everything I cared about.

So something is damaged. I was wondering what my options are. Is there any way to run chkdsk /r C: from the startup sequence? I don't have a Windows CD, and it is no longer under warranty so I would like to avoid buying anything new if I can help it. Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Running chkdsk from startup

If you're in windows, in the RUN box, just type what you showed. "Chkdsk /f C:". You mentioned that 1 of 3 completed. That's usually the /F that runs 3 tests. /R runs the 5 tests. This (/F or /R)usually generates a prompt that the disk cannot be locked and asks about running on restart, Y/N. Give it a 'Y'. If you want to run it the other partitions, repeat the entry and specify the drive letter. I use check disk to scan 3 partions on this laptop at boot after Windows begins loading. If any reported major error corrections are needed, I then specify /F. If you type chkdsk in the run box with no letters, it will run the short scan without rebooting.
    Have you tried booting in Safe mode (F8) and using system restore?

I can't get into windows, that's the point. It won't boot because I can't get past the CHKDSK that is already running.

Can you remove the internal battery for a minute to allow a cold reset start?