Thread: Windows XP: Burner can burn CDs but cannot burn DVDs

Windows XP: Burner can burn CDs but cannot burn DVDs

I have Windows XP on my system and in addition to that I have Nero 7. The thing is that when I try to burn the CD I get this burning without any issue, but when it comes to burning the DVD I have seen that the software just fails. I really do not know what can be the issue here that may be causing. Any help in the matter will be really appreciated here. I have seen that it recognizes the CD but when it comes to the DVD it treats it as a CD and then even if I try to burn on it; it just gets spit out of the Drive.

Re: Windows XP: Burner can burn CDs but cannot burn DVDs

Looking at the case it seems to me that there is some issue with the DVD drive. You can try to clean the DVD drive and see if that can help your Drive to see if it reads the CD as CD and DVD as DVD. Also please take care that you use reputed CD and DVD or if you will be making use of the local DISCS then there are chances that you might get the lens of the DVD DRIVE damaged. The only option after that would be replacement, if you have the drive under warranty or you will be required to purchase a new one. Hope that I have made my point clear here.

It seems that you will be required to delete the filter in registry. Click the Start icon and then click on the RUN option there. In the RUN window type regedit and then press the Enter key. Then you will be required to locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Now check the right pane and see if you can see for the values of Upperfilters and Lowerfilters available there. If you are able to see them then right click on it and select the DELETE option. Restart the pc and then check if you can burn the dvd.

Also check if the Burner software that you are using has the automatic updates turned on. As looking at the scenario that you have presented it seems that your burning software must have installed some weird update and hence you might be getting the issue. It will be simply great if you can have that update uninstalled and see after doing that you can get the problems solved.

Can you try to reinstall the Nero Software again and see if that can really help you with the issue. Please make the reinstallation of the Burning software and after that see if you turn off the automatic update there. Go with the clean installation of the things and see if you can use CCleaner for registry cleaner.

It will be nice if you can go with some other burning software and see if that can help you with the situation you are facing. In addition to that if you want you can go with the other solution that I am presenting here. Click on the Start Icon and then click on the RUN option there. After that you will be required to type devmgmt.msc in the Run window. After that expand DVD/CDROM drive and then right click on it. After that choose to Uninstall the same device. Reboot the system and after that you will be able to see drivers getting loaded there. Then see if you can have the DVD burning in your case there.