Thread: Computer keeps restarting and will only boot in safe mode

Computer keeps restarting and will only boot in safe mode

Hey all.
    Just as the title says, once i get to the windows logo screen it wille restart and keep doing this.
    It comes up with a screen asking you to select safe mode safe mode with networking etc.....
    Any way i can fix this problem in safe mode?
    cheers

Re: Computer keeps restarting and will only boot in safe mode

You can try the command prompt method of getting and using system restore incase if you are not able to boot into safe mode. If that works you will need to disinfect the PC as soon as possible.

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
    2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
    3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
    4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
    5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

More information here.

Cheers.
    I tried that but the restore will not work, once i select a date and then wait for it to restart, it will reach the windows logo and then restart and restart.....
    Any idea?

You can try to boot your computer with windows xp cd, select R to enter windows xp repair console, check if 1 c:/windows/ or c: . If is only c: then type this, fixboot and press enter, press y to comfirm. But if c:/windows is what you see then press 1 to select the windows and type this chKdsk /r.

Windows xp cd ? Where do i get one of those? Is there anything I can do whilst in safe mode ?

Any1 know where I can get a setup cd rom for xp or a recovery disc? It says the file windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt

Can you tell us whether you see any error message displayed before it reboots? If you can, log in as Administrator or an account with Administrator priviledges and type fsutil dirty set c: in the command window. Reboot & let the chkdsk run. May be that would sort out the problem. It might be a faulty ram problem as well, so try to swap ram and check by installing new ram in your pc as well.

It says windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. I can't use safe mode now either.

There is one Guided Help available from Microsoft to help recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting. Guided Help can automatically perform the steps for you. The actions that this Guided Help performs can be undone after Guided Help is finished. To undo the actions that this Guided Help performs and to restore the corrupted registry files, start Recovery Console, and then manually copy the Windows\Tmp\*.bak files to the Windows\System32\Config folder. Make sure to rename the files to remove the .bak extension.

For more info and to download the guided help, visit this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545