Thread: Importing movies from Sony Handycam DCR-HC21 with USB Cable

Importing movies from Sony Handycam DCR-HC21 with USB Cable

I have a HP G60-630 US Laptop running with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. We have some movies and pictures in Sony DCR-HC21 Handycam which I want to import on my laptop. But as the laptop don’t have Firewire port I’m using USB cable to connect but it is asking for Drivers. I tried searching the same on Sony’s website but dint found it. I even tried to get some help from HP but they said they can’t help for this situation.

Later when I called up Sony for the same they said USB streaming feature is not supported with the Windows 7. Now I don’t know what else to do. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Importing movies from Sony Handycam DCR-HC21 with USB Cable

There is a bad news for you. Even though somehow you get the drivers for your windows 7 it will not allow you to import your videos and images because Firewire is the only way to get it done. Furthermore, there is also no way to get Firewire on your laptop, not even using adapter. The only way to deal here is buy "capture device" which will help you to capture the video playing on your digicam. It is the same way like people use to capture DVD and VHS movies. This will help you get the videos on your PC. If you want the best I can suggest you is ADS Tech's DVD Xpress DX2 which is available for about $80.

There is another way through which you can get all the photos back from that camera. You have to buy a usb to firewire adapter. It is available commonly at reasonable price. You can buy the same and connect the camera to your pc through that. It will work. You don't really require firewire cable. You can go on Amazon or eBay from where you can find a good adapter. You can buy that and use it. Windows might ask for the drivers. This will be mostly a kind of removable drive.

You will need something like in the image below. It is a USB to Firewire Ieee 1394 4 Pin Ilink Adapter Cable which is available on Amazon. This cable will offer a straight connectivity with the camera. I had one which I use on a mac storage and it works with my laptops. Most of the cameras are plug and play device so don't have to worry about the driver stuff.

USB to Firewire Ieee 1394 4 Pin Ilink Adapter Cable