Thread: amdk8.sys anyone?

amdk8.sys anyone?

I want to get an old C drive running that has XP SP3. I am able to log in, but then the computer hangs and asks me for amdk8.sys. After doing some online research it looks to me that it was an SP3 patch add, so its not on my original XP CD. Windows XP needs it on a disk, but I am not able to find a download of it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Thanks.

Re: amdk8.sys anyone?

The file amdk8.sys is a third party driver. Can you tell us what is your computer make and model? What is your motherboard make and model? You can go to the Amd website and download the required drivers to solve this issue.

Since it is a AMD file name, I did contact them first. They didnt have it on their support or download site. When asked their tech support then the person says that was an XP SP3 file and I should ask MS for this issue.

It looks to me that you are attempting to move a previously installed Windows XP SP3 hard drive to a different motherboard or PC. This is not easy to do as the XP product Activation checks up the several motherboard component for the activation. The solution for this problem is to do a repair install of XP version and for that you will need your original XP install CD.

I think that there was an issue with Amd based computers when SP3 was released. In any case you need to download the latest version of the drivers from the amd website in order to solve this issue.