Thread: Activation Problem with XP Professional after Repair Install

Activation Problem with XP Professional after Repair Installl

I had to do a repair install to XP, it asked for activation which I did by phone. Several boots later it would not launch again so I did another repair install. Now I get a message that a problem prevented windows from accurately confirming activation and would I like to activate now. I click yes the system goes to a blank desktop, no activation screen no icons, no task bar, no nothing; even ctrl alt delete has have no affect. I can get into safe mode without networking just fine and have actually burned back up disks.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of a complete new installation. I tried the IE 8 install but that did nothing.

What kind of problem you are facing that requires 2 repair installs in such a small period of time. Incase you have backups already done, a clean installation will be your best bet. But you can do that by checking the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Re: Activation Problem with XP Professional after Repair Installl

There is some way in which there is no pratical way around activation failures other than wiping the drive and doing a clean install. I hvae got this issue myself more then once and it was easy to just start over again.

I encountered severe activation issues after during a repair install. In my situation, IE 8 was previously installed and its setup information just might not be compatible with IE 6.

I started off getting a blank screen after trying to activate.

Problem was solved by rebooting in safe mode. Then loading IE8. The recommended method for entering safe mode is by repeated pressing F8 key. If that doesn't work, power off the system while it is booting once, twice or whatever -- but that is a last choice method.

If you don't have two computers get a friend to download IE8 onto a suitable media.

After IE8 reboots, the activation screen came up like it is suppose to.

Good luck to anyone needing this simple fix.