Thread: No Local Area Connection

No Local Area Connection

My local and internet connection were fine at first but it just stopped without warning. I'm able to get an internet connection but not a local connection. I tried right clicking the LAN and selecting enable but all I get in response is a quick pop-up that says connection failed. Please help!!!

Re: No Local Area Connection

I have a small confusion here. You said "I'm able to get an internet connection but not a local connection." What exactly do you mean by that? Are you talking about your LAN connection not able to get connected or is it about Internet not able to get connected? Are you talking about Wireless connection?

Until you reply, s per your subject line, I will suggest you to open Device Manager, select your LAN and remove it. Now reboot the system and wait for few minutes and let Windows Install the Lan and its best drivers automatically. See if your problem is solved.

Look I may have explained it all wrong because I'm not very computer literate. When I am able to connect to the web and I drag the mouse across the connection icon it says local and internet access. But now I am able to get a wirless connection but the local area connection says disabled. I tried to enable it but it keeps saying connection failed. I don't have a wirless card and not sure about another LAN connection but I don't think I have that either. Can you help???

Ok, seems like you have a laptop on which you are facing these problems. There are several laptops releasing now a days comes with built in wireless card .If it has a connection to a nearby router, that might explain why you have "local and internet access". By the way can you tell me if you have a connection through modem or router? How to you connect your laptop to the internet? In case you are using phone modem to go online than this is a default behavior, NIC will always show the LAN as not connected. You dont need to do anything in that.

It's a laptop but it's an old IBM Thinkpad. My connection comes from a nearby source I guess. I find available networks in my range and then connect to one of them.

Alrite, so first of all you are illegally using someone's Wireless network and if it stopped working you came here for help? I guess the person whose network you were using might have found out what you were doing and hence he might have secured his connection. Thats the problem. You can do anything for that.