Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Installing xp without floppy drive

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 24-09-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Installing xp without floppy drive

I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I want to use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install it with modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error from asms file.

I dl nlite installed.
copied windows xp files to hd
run program nlite
put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
made image and burn cd
tried to install xp
it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah blah
can anyone help me with this ? thank you

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-09-2009
Ken Blake, MVP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 04:57:49 +0530, kakashi1982
<kakashi1982.3yzrbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>
> I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I want to
> use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install it with
> modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error from asms
> file.



I can't help with your error, but let me comment that I think RAID 0
is almost always a poor idea. Although it sound like it should improve
performance, it normally doesn't help at all. Read here: "Why RAID is
(usually) a Terrible Idea" at
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29



> I dl nlite installed.
> copied windows xp files to hd
> run program nlite
> put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
> made image and burn cd
> tried to install xp
> it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah
> blah
> can anyone help me with this ? thank you
>
>
> --
> kakashi1982
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> kakashi1982's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138021.htm
> View this thread: Installing xp without floppy drive
>
> http://forums.techarena.in


--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-09-2009
Shenan Stanley
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive

kakashi1982 wrote:
> I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I
> want to use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install
> it with modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error
> from asms file.
>
> I dl nlite installed.
> copied windows xp files to hd
> run program nlite
> put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
> made image and burn cd
> tried to install xp
> it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah
> blah
> can anyone help me with this ? thank you


I bet your system would support a USB Floppy Diskette.

$20-$40 $ US and you're done and you have something lying around for those
strange moments. ;-)

Or you could get an OS that is not 8-9 years old with two successors
already. *eg*

Read up here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ccfa79181343e/

Should give you virtually every way to integrate those drivers in one way or
another.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-09-2009
Anteaus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive


Excellent article, and something I've been trying to convince people of for
years, ever since we had a single disk failure in a SCSI RAID1 Netware server
trash the data on the PAIR. This was with a quality disk controller too, not
a junk one.

Unfortunately the 'name dropping' problem dictates that uninformed people
assume RAID must be good.

Apart from the problem of cheap, poor-quality controllers, you have the
issue of disaster-recovery. Assuming you have a full backup of course- can
the backup or disk-imaging software restore the data to an exotic RAID array?
All too often the answer is NO, but -because you have only one RAID array and
therefore cannot do restoration tests- the only time you get to discover this
is when the whole office is twiddling its collective thumbs, and the boss is
breathing heavily down your neck in the comms room.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> I can't help with your error, but let me comment that I think RAID 0
> is almost always a poor idea. Although it sound like it should improve
> performance, it normally doesn't help at all. Read here: "Why RAID is
> (usually) a Terrible Idea" at
> http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-09-2009
db
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive

there are usb floppy drives
available.

------------------

perhaps, you might try to
install windows
on an ide first.

then move the drive to a
sata plug and set your
bios to boot from it.

then if you might have to do a
repair install on that drive in
order to resyncronize the o.s.
to its new location - maybe.

------------------

incidentally forget about raids.

with today terabyte disk drives
becoming a standard,

raids are passee.

--
db???`?...?><)))?>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com
- nntp Postologist
~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>


"kakashi1982" <kakashi1982.3yzrbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:kakashi1982.3yzrbb@DoNotSpam.com...
>
> I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I want to
> use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install it with
> modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error from asms
> file.
>
> I dl nlite installed.
> copied windows xp files to hd
> run program nlite
> put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
> made image and burn cd
> tried to install xp
> it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah
> blah
> can anyone help me with this ? thank you
>
>
> --
> kakashi1982
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> kakashi1982's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138021.htm
> View this thread:
> Installing xp without floppy drive
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-09-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive

found out that my xp disk was faulty . end of problem, thank you
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-09-2009
Patrick Keenan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive


"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uNJ0oKLPKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> kakashi1982 wrote:
>> I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I
>> want to use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install
>> it with modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error
>> from asms file.
>>
>> I dl nlite installed.
>> copied windows xp files to hd
>> run program nlite
>> put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
>> made image and burn cd
>> tried to install xp
>> it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah
>> blah
>> can anyone help me with this ? thank you

>
> I bet your system would support a USB Floppy Diskette.
>
> $20-$40 $ US and you're done and you have something lying around for those
> strange moments. ;-)


I recently had to use my USB floppy drive to rebuild a pretty new TOshiba
laptop. The XP install found the floppy drive and picked up the SATA
drivers, and allowed me to format the disk. Worked great - until it
started copying files. *Then*, it wanted to see the floppy to re-copy the
drivers and couldn't find the drive. I had to use nLite and rebuild the
install CD to get past this.



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27-09-2009
John John - MVP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Installing xp without floppy drive

Patrick Keenan wrote:
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uNJ0oKLPKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> kakashi1982 wrote:
>>> I have built a computer but my mobo does not support fpdd and I
>>> want to use windows xp with raid 0 config. I have tried to install
>>> it with modified xp made by nlite. it kept giving me a fatal error
>>> from asms file.
>>>
>>> I dl nlite installed.
>>> copied windows xp files to hd
>>> run program nlite
>>> put raid and sata driver into the file using the program
>>> made image and burn cd
>>> tried to install xp
>>> it failed giving me the error message saying E:\ I386\asms blah blah
>>> blah
>>> can anyone help me with this ? thank you

>>
>> I bet your system would support a USB Floppy Diskette.
>>
>> $20-$40 $ US and you're done and you have something lying around for
>> those strange moments. ;-)

>
> I recently had to use my USB floppy drive to rebuild a pretty new
> TOshiba laptop. The XP install found the floppy drive and picked up
> the SATA drivers, and allowed me to format the disk. Worked great -
> until it started copying files. *Then*, it wanted to see the floppy to
> re-copy the drivers and couldn't find the drive. I had to use nLite
> and rebuild the install CD to get past this.


This is because the Windows Setup program only supports a handful of USB
drives for F6 driver installation method, that is explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196/

Adding the standard Microsoft USB storage drivers to the txtsetup.oem
file on the floppy diskette usually resolves this problem, see here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-026606.htm
Adding the USB floppy's vendor ID should also fix the problem, see here
for an example:
http://blog.mreza.info/archive/2007/...sb-floppy.aspx

John
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Installing xp without floppy drive"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP USB Floppy Drive Key admil Portable Devices 2 24-10-2008 05:25 PM
Installing Windows 98 by floppy only GaelicForce TroubleShoot 98 4 24-05-2008 10:50 PM
Installing RAID Drivers without a floppy? Kool Windows XP Support 3 26-01-2008 01:54 AM
Installing third party driver without floppy drive Dolla Windows Security 5 28-02-2007 05:22 AM
Windows setup - installing RAID drivers without floppy drive PatrModer MediaCenter 1 12-05-2006 04:58 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:52 PM.