Thread: svchost.exe crashes randomly

svchost.exe crashes randomly

This is what the error looks like in Event Log: Faulty application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Background and all the info I've scrounged up: No-one has any solution to this thing, it happened a lot during virus outbreaks in 2006/7, the instance of svchost that fails is not hosting any third-party services, it happens even after a reinstall of windows and SP3. Before I installed SP3, the error changed:
    "Faulty program svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module netapi32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0000a3c0.",

"Faulty program svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6f8917c2.".

The error started half a year ago after I installed an X-fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champions Edition Series card, replacing my old Audigy 2 card. I have since switched back, but to no avail; the error persists, seemingly at random. A week or several days can pass without it happening, and then it comes right back. I have an old event log from the previous installation, and I can produce one from this one, too. By the way, I have tested my RAM with Prime95 running all night, and there were no problems. Both installations have been virus-free; absolutely nothing. I have tried all solutions including turning off Windows Updates, deleting, re-generating and re-registering the files used for said action and so on. At this point I'm pretty much calling it quits; no-one has been able to help me and I doubt I will get any help. As a last ditch effort, I'm posting all I have on this problem of mine here before I throw away a perfectly good computer. Of course I can grab my video card at the very least for my new computer, but I have no idea if this is a software or hardware problem at this point, so... There isn't really any way to troubleshoot it, because it gives absolutely no clue as to what could be wrong and I don't blame you for ignoring this .... Heh, just realized: I wrote this last part on all my other threads I started on other forums about this problem, too.

If you know any place techy enough to deal with a problem like this, do tell.

My specs by the way:
    E6600 C2D
    P5W-DH
    GTX260
    2 GB Corsair TwinX 6400.

Re: svchost.exe crashes randomly

1. Go to: Start > Run > Type "cmd" and hit enter key
    2. Type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL in the command prompt and hit Enter.
    3. You will receive a message reading "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded."
    4. Repeat this process for each of the following commands:

• REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
    • REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
    • REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
    • REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
    • REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
    • REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
    • REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Delete the Corrupted Windows Update Files

• Type the following command into the command prompt and press Enter: net stop WuAuServ. Type in: cd %windir% and hit Enter.
    • Type ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • Now restart the Windows Update service by inserting net start WuAuServ.
    • close the Windows Command Prompt by typing EXIT and pressing the Enter key
    • Restart your computer