Thread: 2K to XP Upgrade Problem: Missing File?

2K to XP Upgrade Problem: Missing File?

I want to upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP but am getting a "File Copy Error" that says "An error occurred copying file a8s8ubqp.sys to C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\a8s8ubqp.sys. The files is missing. Contact your system administrator." It still gives me the option to either retry the copy or skip the file or exit Setup. When I try to retry then it does nothing and I dont know where to get the a8s8ubqp.sys file anywhere. Can anyone tell me if I need to get it or should I continue the setup without it? Thanks.

The file that you are talking about is not a valid windows sys file. It might be that your system is infected by virus or malware. You should try to back up important data and then try to perform a clean install of Windows XP.

Re: 2K to XP Upgrade Problem: Missing File?

Thanks for the information but that doesnt seems to be a virus issue since I keep my computer checked and monitored and I have just rechecked it with multiple softwares. Nothing was found, and the sys file in question is not a fie on my system but its a file on the CD which is asking for during the setup.

I think that the CD that you have might be bad. Is it having scratches on the surface? You can try polishing it that might help. Also, you can try to do a cleaning of the CD drive and see if that works.

I had similar problem!
    If you have daemon tools, just uninstall it and ... BINGO!

Hi. I had the same problem (or rather have). And this random name is making crazy. My windows is perfectly legal and the key as well. no scratches and no CD drive problem.
    Do u by any chance remember the name of the config file. And would u pls tell me whether u had any problems once u deleted that entry?

DAEMON Tools causes this exact problem. Uninstall it and the setup will run fine. Cheers!

Problem with WIN XP upgrade caused with some C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\<random chars>.sys file can be cause by RAID/SCASI controller driver (or if you have ie. MagicISO SCSI/RAID Host Controller). If you check in properties of the driver you'll find that <random chars> named sys string. After you remove (uninstall) that driver (control panel->system->hardware->device manager->SCASI/RAID controller) you may upgrade your win xp with no problem.

Same problem upgrading to XPPro from XPHome, after removing Daemon Tools upgrade worked fine.

Re: 2K to XP Upgrade Problem: Missing File?

Bingo indeed. I was having this exact same problem, and uninstalling Daemon Tools fixed it right away. Thanks.