Thread: DVD RW drive does not recognize DVD discs

DVD RW drive does not recognize DVD discs

Hello, I am facing some hardware problems on my Windows XP system. My earlier DVD drive got dead hence I bought a new SONY DVD RW DW-U55A drive and installed on this system. When I open My Computer, it shows "DVD-RW Drive (F:)" but when I put any DVD disc, then it shows as "CD Drive (F:)". Strange. And due to this I am not able to burn anything on any DVD discs.

When I right click the drive after inserting DVD, it says Used space = 0 bytes and Free space = 0 bytes. Let me tell you that there is no problem burning a CD on this system but only DVD drives give the problems. As per troubleshooting I unchecked "Enable CD recording on this drive" under the Recording tab into the drive’s properties and enabled "enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" but yet the same problem appears.

Do you guys have any information about this problem? Please let me know how can I fix the same? Many Thanks.

Re: DVD RW drive does not recognize DVD discs

Are you sure you bought a DVD drive? Because if it is working fine with CD and not with DVD, it sounds to be a CD drive. Anyways, just try out cleaning the lenses using any CD lens cleaner kit. If still you get the same problem I’ll suggest you to better send it back to service center. Drive is faulty.

Hey guys, first tell me if Windows XP is capable to burn DVDs on its own? I mean do you have any third party burner installed on your PC like Nero or
    Easy CD Creator? If not then there is no way to burn DVDs on XP and you will keep getting that strange things.

Thats absolutely correct. You need third-party software to do that. The built-in XP program can burn CDs only, and not DVDs.