Thread: Print spooler service is not running

Print Spooler service is not running

I am not able to print anything. The Printer Spooler service will not respond at all. I have tried to restart the print spooler service in the admin tools many times, but it wont allow me to print anything or to view properties, add a printer to no avail. I am getting the below error:

"Server Properties cannot be viewed. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

Re: Print Spooler service is not running

Can you tell us what is the exact message that you are getting when you start it with the command prompt?

Thanks for responding, when I am running that command, then I am getting "The request service has already been started." I have tried many times to restart it under admin tools and services, but it wont start.

You might be a having a damaged printer driver in your system somewhere. You can try to uninstall and then reinstall it and see if that works.

I followed the steps to remove and delete the drivers from the server properties which didnt work, but later I deleted that from the registry and it worked properly. Thanks.

Open run dialog and type Services.msc . I want you to visually confirm that the printspooler service is running in automatic mode and also make sure you UPnP services are also started. If you have no problems with other UPnP hardware installing though you can skip that step. unplug your printer and restart your computer. when restarted plug in printer and try again. Have you used this printer on WINXP before, as some (ALOT) of older printers are not compatible and have no valid drivers for WinXp.