Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Application not found

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Application not found

I am with Windows XP pro running on MSI laptop. Recently it was affected with some virus. I scanned and cleaned this system with updated Norton and now it seems ok. But from last 2 days whenever I try doing anything on my system it gives me error messages mentioned in the title. I guess there could be some file got corrupted that is causing this problem but unable to figure out the same. Any help ?

I think I found a solution for this. Just download this registryfix from here, save to desktop and RMC and merge it. It will help you restoring exe file associations. Double click to run the file. If you get any security prompt, click on Yes and move ahead. That’s it. It will repair the damages done by the virus or any programs.

This worked for me smoothly and without any hectic. Thanks for sharing the file and instructions. Very useful advice.

OK, maybe I'm just not talented enough to do this, I went to the provided link, saved it to a notepad, then saved it to desk top. But I am unable to find a way to run it. I saved the left column and it said it could not run because it was not binary code, so I saved the right column and am still unable to find a way to get it to run, double click opens code, right click has no run as option. Am I just infected further? It has caused IE to be gone from my laptop. Could use some help here. Thanks.

I am having the same problem as stated here - rundll32.exe not found. i have copied the exe from the link. please can u let me know what you mean by RMC and then merge.

Did you make sure to save the file as "All Files" instead of a text document?

My problem started when one of my friend took by MSI notebook for some work and returned me with a deadly virus. I was stun and was not having idea what to do in order to fix this but fortunately found this. though this discussion seems to be very old but yet it is very useful for many XP users , including me. Saved me hours or research and work.

Re: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Application not found

I am having the same problem. I copied all of the text to notepad and saved it as a .reg. I run it and I say yes to the "do you want to change the registry?" notice but then it comes up with a message that says "Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\ James\Desktop\XPfix.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor." Does this mean that I have to go to C:\WINDOWS\regedit and import the file from there? Oh and mxraceteammdriver, RMC means Right Mouse Click.

Three hours trying everything from from a complete new install to trying to set the computer back to factory settings and nothing worked.

Google directed me to your site and 10 minutes latter the computer is as good as new.

Now i believe in magic!

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Question to anyone who used this.....I am not finding any numbers - you said scroll down to no 12 on majorgeeks.com? Also what is RMC. Also if I have Explorer for my browser - MSN...I am assuming I just download and dont have to go the notepad route...is that correct? Can you tell me how to do if I am not on firefox or chrome?

Any help would be appreciated - as I do radio show editing weekly on my computer and this is problem is driving me batso. I cant open my Internet Options to clear out files. Audio editing takes massive space on my computer - so I really need to clear files. Does anyone know how to clear internet files without going to Internet Options from the Control Panel. That seems to be the only place I get the error message about - C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe application not found.

Once again my question to anyone who used this approach from majorgeeks.com:

I am not finding any numbers - Antryg said scroll down to no 12 on majorgeeks.com. I dont see any numbers and by subjects listed on that page - it doesnt seem like that is the correct application or download.

Also (I know , I know, showing my ignorance even further here but ) what is RMC? Also, if I have Explorer for my browser - MSN...I am assuming I just download and dont have to go the notepad route...is that correct? Can you tell me how to do if I am not on firefox or chrome? OY!

Thanks a bunch in advance

@Talentedtalker

I ran into the same problem as you. After some googling I got the website.

scroll down to item #12 and save the text file with whatever name say: New Text File.reg worked for me. double click it and click OK on the message boxes that appear and that should fix the problem without even having to restart the computer.

This problem can be resolved by copying the rundll.exe file in the system folder c/windows/system32, You can find this file in c:\windows\system32\dllcache or c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386. Just copy this file to the system folder c:\windows\system32.

Posted: 04/22/11
    I was having the same problem as others had and a Google search turned up this site and this thread. Maybe outdated but I didn't see the link and nothing listed here worked. I joined just to provide the solution that worked for me.

ITEMS NEEDED:
    1) A working computer that has internet access.
    2) A USB drive (or other means) to get a small file to your broken computer.

OPTION 1 (shorter):
    1) Click on the following link and download the xp_exe_fix.reg file
    http://www.box.net/shared/6xe190zyty
    2) Move it to the "broken" computer (if necessary)
    3) Run it. Hopefully it worked.

OPTION 2 (longer and more detailed)
    STEP 1:
    Go to this site: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and click on the following link (should be the 9th one down): "EXE File Association Fix"
    OR
    You can just click on this direct link: xp_exe_fix.zip

STEP 2
    As the file is a compressed "Zipped" file (ie .zip) you should get a dialogue box asking you if you want to "Run" or "Save" the file. "Run" the file and it will unzip it and should show the following file: xp_exe_fix.reg

STEP 3
    Plug in your USB drive and move the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file to it. Move the USB drive from the "working" computer to your "broken" computer. Hopefully your computer can find the USB drive.

STEP 4
    Locate the file on the USB drive and move it to the desktop of the "broken" computer.

STEP 5
    Double click on the file which should give you the following popup: "Are you sure you want to add the information in..." Click "Yes" and it will quickly run the program.

Hopefully that will be the end of your problem. :)

well I simply registered to say thank you to Anyone2u, I went with your option one and in less than a minute my pc was fixed. very relieved considering I had just reformatted 2 days ago and the thought of reinstalling everything again this soon was just sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by grammaton View Post
    well I simply registered to say thank you to Anyone2u, I went with your option one and in less than a minute my pc was fixed. very relieved considering I had just reformatted 2 days ago and the thought of reinstalling everything again this soon was just sickening.
    Thanks for posting and glad it worked. So far the file has been downloaded almost 300 times (~2 weeks) and hopefully it worked for them as well. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The simple version worked. I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast