Thread: xp will not boot in any mode

xp will not boot in any mode

Hi, computer is used to play games COD, noticed as I walked in room it was restarting but would not load when it went to the choose mode page. Tried all modes non worked.

Put in original xp disk and got to recovery mode, did chdsk and found a few errors and repaired them, crossed fingers and restarted again to mode page again no modes worked.

Can see a flash of a page on boot but so fast can not read it. Any way to stop or slow to see it?

Also any ideas on best command to try when I get back in recovery console? bootini?

Oh also noticed just before this happened that space on hard drive was really low less than 1/2 g would that affect it? Usually delete old restore points to clean it up. Any way to delete restore points from recovery console?

Re: xp will not boot in any mode

Hello did you check with the following link. please go through this link and see if its helpful for you or not. i will try to find more about it. as soon as i found something new about it then i will post back here.

XP will not boot even in safe mode

Did u have any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie1 View Post
    Did u have any luck?
    Could you please specify in details what kind of issues you are facing, so that people can give proper solution to your problems. What system specifications do you have? Have you cheked for any loose connections of wires that could be a reason for the pc not starting? What happens if you try to start the pc, do you get any error message?

Xp service pack 2, on hp computer, a545c with athalon chip. This all started when I updated to service pack 3, I started getting blue screens. Called Microsoft, paid $60, we tried to remove sp3 with every step possible, and it wouldn't remove, even through recovery console.

No, they had me do a repair install, the one through windows setup. When it gets to "installing devices" during the repair, it stops at 36 min remaining. Everytime! I looked at my setupapi.log and it doesn't show any particular inf that it's getting hung up on. The last line it infcache.1.

It's driving me nuts and I just want to boot back to my desktop. Can anyone help.

If there is a problem booting, XP is configured to automatically try to boot again and you can get stuck in a loop of just being unable to get past the boot options screen or none of the boot options you choose will work.

Sometimes when XP has a problem starting or crashes and tries to start again, it will give you a "short" menu of boot options and none of them will seem to be the right ones to get your system going again. You've tried them all!

The options resemble the XP Advanced Boot Options menu, but the one option you need (Disable automatic restart on system failure) is not offered because XP has gone too far along in the boot process and offers you a limited number of boot options.

If that is the case, you must invoke the Advanced Boot Options menu yourself until you do see the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

When you do get to the correct XP Advanced Options Boot menu you want to see, it has options on it like these:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA mode
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choices Menu