Thread: No Desktop Icons, start menu, task manager.

No Desktop Icons, start menu, task manager.

I need some help here. I am having a problem with my pc. When I start the system only the wallpaper appears on the desktop. There are no icons or start menu. When I press crtl+alt+del nothing happens. There is nothing on the screen. I had installed avg on my pc. I scanned my system with the same and it has not found anything. One thing I have noticed that when go in file explorer and try to check user folder, it gives me permission denied error. I tried to manage the permission settings through folder properties but that did not worked. What should I do here to fix the problem.

Re: No Desktop Icons, start menu, task manager.

I think the user profile is corrupted. just create a new user id and then check back. By corrupt I mean that there can be some key files which are used for the user profile to load is damage. This can be due to adding different themes or due to virus also. Just create a new account and then check back. I am sure the desktop will load properly. Another simple process you can try here is running system restore. That will restore will the existing settings back and make your system more stable.

Re: No Desktop Icons, start menu, task manager.

Try to run on your system in Safe Mode and the run System Restore. That would be more helpful to fix the problem you are facing. It is more easy to fix the pc under safe mode. It allows you to disable some services. Under safe mode minimum applications are working due to which the system works fine a bit. You can download some anti-spyware tool and use it for scanning purpose.

Run a repair installation. Which will be more than enough. It is simply easy to to run. The repair installation is capable of fixing the problem with setup and it works really well. I always use this whenever I face any problem. You can do the same using Windows XP CD. Just hit r when your system boot form cd. The setup does not ask for much stuff.