Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unwanted Microsoft folder opening after startup

Windows XP Support

Old 24-06-2009

Unwanted Microsoft folder opening after startup

I am having a microsoft folder in the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft after startup. When I go in the folder then there are 2 other folders. I dont know what happened that out of nowhere this folder is now opening. This folder should start to launch after a small power failure just recently. When I turned on my pc, this folder popped up. I am able to close the folder but I dont want to do that everytime my machine boots up. Can anyone tell me how to stop this thing? Thanks. Also, I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials, could that folder related to this antivirus?

Old 25-06-2009

Re: Unwanted Microsoft folder opening after startup

Even I was facing the same issue, when I started my pc this new folder would open then. After some search I found out that I had just installed a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows Vista because I had just purchased a new Vista Computer and I used the Belkin cable to transfer files from my old XP computer to the new one. I found out from tech services that I could just delete this 'Microsoft' ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft") folder & it wouldn't cause a problem. Although it would show up if I ever used the Belkin Transfer Cable again.
Old 25-06-2009

Re: Unwanted Microsoft folder opening after startup

Thanks for responding, I think if its something to do with the newly installed apps? I saw this folder after I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I will try to uninstall it and check by reinstalling OneCare to see if this works or not.
Old 25-06-2009

RE: Unwanted Microsoft folder opening after startup

Can you try to download this tool "AutoRuns for Windows"
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

After that try to remove the entry from below:
[-] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run =

"C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Secuirty Essentials\msseces.exe-hide"

No you will have to run disk cleanup and defrag in safe mode. Then run this command: sfc /scannow
Old 26-06-2009

Thanks, So I deleted the folder and then restarted the pc and nothing happened till yet. But the MSE icon loaded in the system tray was yellow for few seconds and then turned green. After that I restored the Microsoft Folder and restarted the pc and then the MSE icon did not load in the systray. I am thinking of waiting for MSE to come out of Beta.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: