Thread: Did system restore and cannot access internet options or internet explorer

Did system restore and cannot access internet options or internet explorer

Hi

Please help! Problem started with picture attachments to emails - when you opened the jpg file and scrolled through the pictures there would be other images after the actual image -- these images would be of sites or banners that had previously been on my screen. Ran Windows Live One Care and found no problems - ran Mcafee free virus scan and came up with a Generic Pup z in a i386 folder ending with .ocv

Did a system restore to a previous date and was unable to access internet options or internet explorer. Undid the system restore and still unable to access internet options or explorer. When you click on internet explorer the screen flashes and then goes back to the main screen.

What do i do now?

Re: Did system restore and cannot access internet options or internet explorer

I guess that the browser that you are using is hijacked. You can try to install 'HijackThis' software and then run a scan. Normally, you can delete the R0 and R1 lines and there will also be other lines provided in the scan. Just go through it and carefully check if you need to delete any of those as well.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run it and then turn off your current antivirus before you do that to avoid a conflict. You can even follow the article made on "How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP" from below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

I should have said that i was using internet explorer 8 - i am not sure if thats when the problem with the jpg files started. Now when i go to add/remove programs i only see internet explorer 7 which does not have a remove button. if i run a search for iexplore and go to program files the ie8 files come up in a "blue" font as opposed to all other files in black font. Does this mean something? Also being that i cant remove ie7 from add/remove programs can i just delete all the ie files from the c drive?

I installed firefox so i can access the internet - will run malware scan and see what happens.

Normally, in Windows Explorer a blue font lets you know that the files has been compressed. It doesnt mean that there is any kind of problem with it. You should not delete files.