Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Moved My Music folder to external HD, can't access music on Itunes

Windows XP Support

Old 18-06-2009

Moved My Music folder to external HD, can't access music on Itunes

Several days ago I moved my entire My Music folder from my c drive to an external hd to free up storage. Today I deleted the old My Music file on the c drive and upon opening Itunes, I found no music in my library. After checking the c drive, I found that when I opened Itunes it created a new My Music folder on the c drive with Itunes as a sub. The entire my music folder is now on my external hd. How do I get Itunes to access that folder? I would sure appreciate some direction with this problem.

Old 18-06-2009

Re: Moved My Music folder to external HD, can't access music on Itunes

There could be several reason such as in case if you have created your iTunes library using iTunes 8 or newer version then your iTunes Media folder should be created with the name of "iTunes Music" instead. Or in case your HDD is full after loading all your music and other media into iTunes, or if you just want to move all those music and media files to another hard drive on your system, here's a way to make the move while retaining all your playlists, ratings, and play history.

For troubleshooting these problems you should better go through the process provided here in this Apple Knowledge base: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364
Old 19-06-2009

Re: Moved My Music folder to external HD, can't access music on Itunes

Thanks for the tip. It is operational now.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: