Thread: Missing files "ieshims.dll" and "wer.dll"

Missing files "ieshims.dll" and "wer.dll"

Hi, I’m running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with Windows Movie Maker v2.1. There is no problem with rest of the system but only with Movie Maker. As soon as I start the same, it gives me an error message saying “Movie Maker Encountered a Problem and needs to shutdown.” This is happening from past 3 days, no success yet. I wont even allow me to debug. When I checked the Event Viewer, I found this listed over there:

“Faulting application moviemk.exe, version 2.1.4026.0 faulting module qedit.dll, version 6.5.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001b2f1”

While doing troubleshooting furthermore I found dependency walker saying that that "ieshims.dll" and "wer.dll" are missing. Damn, from where so many problems occurred suddenly on my system? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Missing files "ieshims.dll" and "wer.dll"

Just try out the following steps, it may help you with this error, though i'm ot sure about the same. You should give a try:
    If you have any application which has registered a bunch of effect filters, find it. Then rename the directory that the application is installed into to something else - which will temporarily cause those effect filters to fail to load. Once done, restart MovieMaker. As less effects are successfully created, MovieMaker should hopefully launch. Rename the directory in step 2 back to it's original name so the original application still works. Now launch Movie maker again.

The ieshims.dll file must be located in a folder path called Program Files\Internet Explorer and it is just a part of the initial installation. Simply add the path of %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer to the Path Environment Variable and then reboot the application where you are missing the files. Most of the earlier Windows versions or Internet Explorer update installations the path environment is set correctly.

Even I was facing this problem on my Windows XP machine. But I was able to solve it by simply rolling back to Internet Explorer 7 from Internet Explorer 8. I am thinking that Internet Explorer 7 was using this files as a wrapper that should be working in Windows XP, but IE8 was simply made to work with Vista and Windows 7 and therefore it removed the files since the new previous OS dont use them.