Thread: External USB Hard Disk Won't Initialize in XP/7

External USB Hard Disk Won't Initialize in XP/7

I am using a External USB drive here. I am trying to use it on Windows XP pc. But there is some issue with the same. My pc is not able to read the drive at all. I checked in Device Manager where I found an yellow exclamation warning. I tired to update the drivers but still it is not working. Later on I connected the driver to my Vista pc. It was installed. But now after two days the drive just does not open. Looks like some kind of serious drivers issue.

Re: External USB Hard Disk Won't Initialize in XP/7

I think the device is malfunctioned due to which you got the error. It is necessary that you must visit the official website of the hard drive manufacturer and download the latest driver. Download that and install it in your pc. I am sure that will be helpful enough to fix the issue. You can go directly in device manager and uninstall the drive first. The default windows drivers in your pc does not looks to be working well.

I think issue lies with the cable or with the case. I had also recently bought a external drive that was having problem with the enclosure. The connector was not proper. Sometime the hard drive is detected while sometime it just did not work. I contacted the vendor from whom I bought. He checked and told me that the enclosure is damaged. I got replacement for the same. So you must also show the same to the place from where you had bought.

If as mentioned above there is a problem with driver or cache then there are chances of getting a fix. You can also try to ensure that the cable which is used to connect the hard disk with pc is proper or not. Just change that and check back. Sometime the problem lies with cable also.And sometime the issue lies with the usb port. Try to connect the usb directly to the backside of pc and then test back.

It is correct. Try to check the usb port and then test back. Just connect the hard drive to some other port and see. I was getting the same issue when I had connected the hard drive to an usb hub. I am having shortage of usb ports on my pc and through a usb hub I can use multiple devices like printer and other external storage. Windows XP has an usb driver updates that can help you for fixing the issue.

64 bit Vista When I went to properties and initialized, it asked if I wanted MBR or GPT partitioning. It said that the GPT partition might not be bootable. Once I chose MBR, the disk came right up.