Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to load/refresh environment variables WITHOUT leaving command prompt?

Windows XP Support

Old 15-05-2009

How to load/refresh environment variables WITHOUT leaving command prompt?

Lets take an example, I start a command prompt and then the command prompt takes the current enviroment variables. After that I changed some of the enviroment variables and then these changes are not visible in the opened command prompt. So, can anyone tell me a way of doing a refresh, that is update environment varibles, without exiting and rebooting the command prompt? Thanks.

Old 15-05-2009

Re: How to load/refresh environment variables WITHOUT leaving commandprompt?

When you type set in your command prompt window, you will see the current variables. It can be adjusted, added and then deleted via My Computer > Properties > Control Panel > Advanced > Environment Variables. Incase, you make changes in the window and do not see them, then you might not understand the usage of the set command, use set /? to see options. But these changes are only or the duration of the Window. Some restrictions apply changes Windows Lets you make with this method:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519
Old 15-05-2009

Re: How to load/refresh environment variables WITHOUT leaving commandprompt?

I think that with the older DOS versions you can try to SET the enviroment any time.
Old 15-05-2009

Re: How to load/refresh environment variables WITHOUT leaving command prompt?

Could you please tell us how are you changing the environment variables? The command SET without parameters, displays environment variables.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: