Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

WMP will not play DVD because a compatible DVD decoder in not installed

Windows XP Support

Old 08-05-2009

WMP will not play DVD because a compatible DVD decoder in not inst

I?m using this Windows XP desktop since long time with Windows Media Player 11 installed. But since yesterday I am trying to play a DVD which ends up saying ?compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.? If there is no compatible DVD decoder then how was it playing fine earlier, until yesterday.

Tried several things but nothing worked, hence I rolled back to Windows Media Player 10 but yet the same problem. Apart from this I also have a Laptop with WMP10 where these DVDs work fine. And on the same desktop the DVD is working good in VLC player.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2009

Re: WMP will not play DVD because a compatible DVD decoder in not inst

If the error itself says the problem is with DVD decoder then why don?t you try installing the Decoders again? Simply visit the following URL to get the required decoder: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...layer-plug-ins

But if you are able to play them in VLC, I will suggest you to forget WMP because you will keep getting many such problems with the same.
Old 09-05-2009

WMP will not play DVD because a compatible DVD decoder in not installed

If you need to play DVD regularly then better download a DVD player software. The best i can recommend you are Intervideo WinDVD and CyberDVD.

Hope it helps.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , ,