Thread: Intermittent usb mouse, cursor freeze-up

Intermittent usb mouse, cursor freeze-up

My ASUS AN8-SLI deluxe is suddenly having USB/mouse problems.

A USB mouse works normal for a few minutes then the PC makes the 'USB disconnect sounds' once or twice. Suddenly the cursor is frozen, but the optical red light in the mouse remains on. Same results with my USB laser mouse.
    In this state the PC does not respond to removing the USB mouse or plugging in a new one, however the same USB port detects a USB flash drive instantly.

The PC requires a re-boot before I can have cursor control again. Thankfully I have an old ps2 mouse and it is not being effected by this strange problem.

Can someone give me some direction in this issue ?
    Thanks.

Re: Intermittent usb mouse, cursor freeze-up

It is probably Driver issue. Make sure you have installed correct drivers for you USB Device, Open device manager, select the USB device, right click and select properties. Uninstall the drivers. Now restart the system and wait for few minutes to allow windows install the right drivers for the device automatically. Also try to scan your system with upgraded antivirus suite to make sure it is not Virus or malware issue.

Hi.
    Thank-you for the advice. My scanners are not detecting spyware or virus problems. After checking those, I proceeded to removed the mouse driver as suggested. This is where it gets strange ......

The USB mouse worked flawlessly for over an hour, untill I shut down the PC for the evening. The following morning I was back with the same problems.

This time removing the driver only got the mouse to work untill Windows gave the message "The device may work better in a USB 2.0 port, click here for a list of available ports". Cursor freezes when the notification message appears.

The USB mouse shows no problems when tested on another XP system.

Having the same problem. It works for a bit and then dies. There was a patch for it from windows and there have been updates for xp recently and no my mouse has gone on the blink again. :(

I did eventually find the original driver for the mouse and reinstalled it. Works again without rebooting. :D YAY

I assume you have the latest driver for the rodent? I also assume that you use the mouse within a metre of the receiver?(I say this because some mice give the same symptom when used on the periphery of reception).Do you use rechargeable batteries?(not a good idea if you do).

And it stops working again. Drivers are all up to date and so is my xp. I can plug it out and back in and it'll work for maybe 20 secs and then it turns off again. Grrr