Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP Display Props-->Desktop-->Background is greyed out

Windows XP Support

Old 28-04-2009

XP Display Props-->Desktop-->Background is greyed out

I?m running Windows XP SP3 on Sony laptop. I recently installed it after for matting entire hard drive. Rest of the things are working fine except the desktop background. It is not allowing me to change my desktop. Infact when I go to Desktop properties, the browse and drop down menu are grayed out, not clickable. Can any one have any idea what could be the problem that disabled this features?

Let me tell you that this pc is on network and other network PCs are able to change their background and it cannot be permission issues, right?

Old 07-05-2009

Re: XP Display Props-->Desktop-->Background is greyed out

If other client PCs are able to change their background then yes it cannot be permission problem. Proabbly there would be something wrong on your system itself. Hence just try out the following:

Click Start -> Run and type "gpedit.msc". Press Enter.

Somewhere under User Configuration under Control Panel there will be a setting to NOT allow people to certain things, such as changing background, etc.
Old 27-08-2011

Re: XP Display Props-->Desktop-->Background is greyed out

To Recover Windows XP Desktop Background:

Click Start, Run, then type regedit in dialog box then click OK.

On the left side of page:
Click HKey_Current_User
then scroll down and click Software
then scroll down and click Microsoft
then scroll down and click Windows
then scroll down and click CurrentVersion
then scroll down and click Policies
then scroll down and click ActiveDesktop
On the right side of page:
Right-click on NoChangingWallPaper and select Modify.
Change the value to 0.

Close Registry

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,