Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the Notification Area

Windows XP Support

Old 27-04-2009

Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the Notification Area

I am having a Windows XP laptop. I had formatted my system. There was some virus issue. Now I had installed all the required stuff. Like web browser, antivirus, office, etc. For antivirus I am using Avast and Spyboat Search and Destroy. Before I was using Zone Alarm. Now there is a router at my home. I had connected the pc to the router. I cannot see any network indication in the system tray about active connection. I tried to change the cable also and reset the router settings but still the issue is same.

Old 27-04-2009

RE: Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the Notification Are

What about the drivers. You said you formatted your pc. Did you installed all the drivers. I think the problem lies with it. Just go in Device Manager. Right click on My Computer and click on Manage. In that click on Device Manager. Look for the ethernet adapter. Ensure that there is no warning sign on the same. If there is then it means the ethernet driver is not installed. You will need to install that using the driver disc that commonly comes with all laptop.
Old 27-04-2009

Re: Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the NotificationArea

What is the model number of your laptop. If you can give the details here I can help you in locating the right driver updates. That will be simply much more easier. Before going for the driver stuff there is another way to bring that icon back. For that go in Network Places and look for the lan adapter. Rightclick on that and below there is a checkbox. Where you have to tick on show notification. Click on OK and then check back.
Old 27-04-2009

Re: Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the Notification Are

That will only work if the lan adapter is installed in your pc. Or else nothing will appear on the notification section. To find whether the lan adapter is working fine or not you can try this. Run cmd and type ping 127.1.1.1 -t and hit enter. If you get the reply back then it means the lan is active and installed. There is some problem with the network connectivity. Can be some issue with router or ISP. Just check everything back from scratch.
Old 27-04-2009

Try to check the router setting and then check back. I am sure that will be more helpful. I still think that there is some kind of connectivity issues. You can also test the router by pinging its IP address. And if that works fine then there is no issue at all, but if not then you have to configure the settings back gain. I am sure that will be enough to fix the problem.
Old 16-10-2011

Re: Internet Connection icon has disappeared from the Notification Are

Hi guys,

Nass, your instructions worked out for me as well. I use Vista, however, it worked well, except that some names within the registry editor were different (e.g. instead of TrayNotify the name was something different, but close in meaning). So, thanks a lot: I got my wireless connection notification back.

regards,
M.B.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,