Thread: Unable to get chkdsk to run at boot

Unable to get chkdsk to run at boot

I just checked that the chkdsk was not running when my laptop wasnt shut down properly. I am running Windows XP SP2. I checked the DOS via the cmd prompt and entered chkdsk C:/f and then the message came up asking if I wanted to run chkdsk at the time next boot and I enter yes, but it still didnt run. After that I ran ftulity to check if the drive was corrupted and it was actually. I am only able to do a chkdsk by selecting the option through Diskeeper. The defragging of the drive isnt working at boot time as well which is part of the diskeeper option and the chkdsk option wont work via my computer as well. After running a partial chkdsk c: from the command line works but it tells me that I have to run it at boot as some inconsistencies were found. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Re: Unable to get chkdsk to run at boot

Since you were using partition magic then you might be thinking that is the root cause of the issue. If I am right, then it could be the master file table that is affected because by their design both parition magic and chkdsk access the master file table. So, if the mft fails then your ntfs will also crash. So to solve this you should being the process of transferring the personal files onto a CD or DVD or something since there is a high risk of failure. You can even try to use any windows CD and boot into the recovery console and run a chkdsk at the disk prompt.

I guess that you coule be right and I have to do a repair or reinstall. I am trying to get into the proper Admin mode and its taking forever. Also, the drive isnt being able to be dismounted for some reason and booting is stuck in Mup.sys. I havent still gotten into pure Admin mode?

Re: Unable to get chkdsk to run at boot

I had this same problem. It occurred when I ran Diskeeper and checked Defrag MFT, Run CHKDSK on next boot. Diskeeper does something to the MBR that messes up my computers.

To fix this problem, get a windows Boot Disk. Boot to it and go to Recovery Console. Run FIXMBR and answer Yes. Run CHKDSK.

Problem solved. Don't use those options in Diskeeper again until they figure out why their pogram is causing everybody these headaches. I like Diskeeper, but this problem has really annoyed me.