Thread: Change location of hibernation file

Change location of hibernation file

Can anyone tell me a way to move the file that is created when putting our system into hibernation? I think that it can be done with the swap file but I am not able to find any option for hibernation? Please help me, thanks.

Re: Change location of hibernation file

Well, I think that hiberfil.sys file should be always be on the same volume as the Windows folder. It is not really correcy to say that the swap file, that is the page file, can be move to a different partition. You can try to make another page file on a different partition, but there might always be a page file on the boot partition. Usually, the page file on the boot partition can be small as 2mb, that is the minimum size for a crash dump.

Actually, hiberfil.sys should reside in the root of the system partition, alongside the boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM files. The Windows directory doesn't need to be on the system partition, it can be on any other drive or volume.

I have quoted my respones from one of the articles and it said like "The hiberfil.sys file must always be on the same volume as the \Windows folder." The Windows directory doesn't need to be on the system partition?

I acutally checked another pc with Windows XP Pro, bundled installed on a NTFS formatted volume, and after i moved the PageFile.sys file to the second volume on that machines hard drive, its exactly like I describe above for this Home ED machine.