Thread: Full uninstall of defective TurboTax 2008 Program

Full uninstall of defective TurboTax 2008 Program

I was using TurboTax 2008 comfortably on this Windows XP based laptop but recently by mistakenly I deleted some of the components of TurboTax due to which it stopped working. I though re-installing the software will fix the problem but the uninstaller which came along with TurboTax doesn’t seems to be working. It prompts me to shit down during the uninstallation process (probably half way) and reboots itself. No matter what I try, it is not getting uninstalled from the system.

Can anybody please tell me how can I completely get rid of the TurboTax 2008 completely from my system? Thanks in advance.

Did you try contacting TurboTax support?You can do an on-line chat, e-mail them or have them call you back (website says call-back withing 30 minutes at the moment)

Re: Full uninstall of defective TurboTax 2008 Program

Good news / strange news:
    TTax 2008 install locked up on me at 14%; re-install insisted on UN-install of "existing" but obviously incomplete 2008 before it would proceed. Both Windows Control Panel and a 3rd party application refused to remove it, as well as a work-around from TTax web site. Finally got rid of it (not quite sure which was successful) but installer STILL saw it and refused, even though it was nowhere to be found in any directory listing.

Finally your /f flush did, indeed, work, (many thanks) although it's not for the faint of heart - it hung up for about 10 minutes at 15%, and again at 30%, but just as I was about to bail out after about 10 MORE minutes, it finished, and invited me to launch, and went after 11.5MB of updates.

I cannot imagine why this "save" isn't documented - I'll go back to their web site and check

I spent about 3 hours with this BS problem I don't think anyone else should waste any time on it. There's a guy on Turbo Tax Community, TechPro, that post up a solution. Thanks TechPro...

Start-->Run you should be executing the following string:
    "D:\setup.exe" /f

Type everything, including the "quotation" marks!! The 'D' is your DVD drive for most people. In my case, it was a 'H' drive. So replace it with the correct letter.

This only works if you have the actual disc. If you downloaded your version, go to Intuit Community and do some search.

Good Luck

The TTax/Intuit web page support-id #7422 shows how to do it. I used this technique on XP twice. After placing the CD in the drive bay, do not continue automatically. Go to Start,Run, then type in the drive ID? and the following. If your CD is "D" the type D:\setup.exe /u /l. This will uninstall/reinstall the program for updates..etc. It works.

later...Joe