Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows XP Pro Logon Loop to Welcome Screen

Windows XP Support

Old 15-03-2009

Windows XP Pro Logon Loop to Welcome Screen

I am not able to login in my computer. It will load to the login screen but after initiating the User logon it says "loading your personal settings", the desktop background flashes and then quickly follows by "logging off", and then saving your settings. It will just go back to the welcome screen and same also happens in Safe Mode? What can I do now to solve this issue? Thanks

Old 15-03-2009

Re: Windows XP Pro Logon Loop to Welcome Screen

Did you try to scan your pc with some antivirus software or so?
Old 15-03-2009

Check the article on "You cannot log on to Windows XP after you remove Wsaupdater.exe" from the below link:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892893

Also, the issue could be because of the incorrect system drive letter. With a networked computer, try to open the registry and connect to the problematic computer and navigate to:

[MACHINE_NAME\HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]

and delete all values that look like this:

\DosDevices\C
\DosDevices\D
\DosDevices\E
and so on

After you are done, ensure you disconnect the pc from the registry. And also check how to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188
Old 16-03-2009

I actually removed the hard drive and connected it to the other computer and then did the antivirus scans, chkdsk and so on. After going through the above method, I found out that "Userinit.exe" file was missing the system32 folder. I have now replaced it using XP's CD and hope that it works fine now.
Old 15-05-2009

It worked for me too!!! LOL at least I can get in there and start cleaning up the system. It goes to show you that even if you've been doing this for years, there is still a lot to learn! Thanks

OK, at my shop I have several test computers so I can test hard drives. It would be a pain but to me well worth it. I would break the mirror, then pull the primary drive out and connect it to a second computer running XP. Then just copy the file over. Put the drive back into the system, boot and then re-establish the mirror. The mirror might take a while to rebuild, but you won't have to reinstall all of your software let alone you OS. This technique has been a life saver for us.
Old 07-08-2009

I am having the same problem. I have a Raid 1 system. How can I get in to see if the Userinit.exe is my problem
Lee

I don't have spare computer that I can put the drive in. The one at my desk is SATA.
Old 07-08-2009

hmmm can you get someone to download the ISO for BART PE the create a disk for you?. BART PE is a self contained running version of XP on a CD. If so, then you could boot off the CD and then copy the file from the BART PE CD. If not, you might have to ask a friend to borrow their computer! as long as is has SATA ports.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,