Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot run chkdsk /f in windows xp pro sp2.

Windows XP Support

Old 09-03-2009

Cannot run chkdsk /f in windows xp pro sp2.

I have a computer which was infected with virus and spyware before some time back and I got rid of it. But ever since, I am getting svchost.exe application errors. Checked with Process Explorer to check if all the running svchost.exe are c:\windows\system32, which they are. So I ran Disk Defragmentation and got message that cannot run it because chkdsk /f is scheduled to run. Any ideas how to fix this issue? Thanks

Old 09-03-2009

Re: Cannot run chkdsk /f in windows xp pro sp2.

You might be still infected or you attempts to remove the infection left somethings behind. It is not easy to remove the nasty viruses now a days.
Old 10-03-2009

You can try t oconnect the drive to some other XP machine and then use the system of that pc to clean the drive. I have also used the same method to clean a hard drive that had malware which used to block the .exe files in my pc. So, try to do this same procedure and see if it works out well for you or not.
Old 07-08-2009

I had a virus alert on my Dell laptop, Windows XP SP3 which was seemingly picked up by Norton antivirus. But compter repeatedly crashes now. Volume is not flagged as dirty and sfc /scannow comes out OK. But CHKDSK in read-only mode reports windows file errors. And the following programs are all being blocked from running: chkdsk /F, MS defrag, System Restore (whether in normal or safe mode). After reading this post I downloaded the Malwarebytes program, and it is also blocked from running! So this would appear to be clever malware which preventing itself from being removed.

Don't think I will be able to remove the harddisk from my laptop to run it in another machine. Perhaps I could try to fix this problem by booting XP from a CD-Rom drive? Any advice gratefully received....

Not sure how I can burn a fully executable version of bitdefender to a CD. Wouldn't that just be an installation file on a CD, which then attempts to install bitdefender to the infected machine, where it will be blocked from running by the malware?

Great - all sorted out. Really appreciate the help!
Old 10-08-2009

You can try to burn BitDefender, or another program listed, to a CD (using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it the same antivirus.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , ,