Thread: setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Hi,

I had just received a used computer as a gift from a friend of a friend. It is a Lian Li computer with an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Duel Core Processor. The Hard Drive is a SATA drive 2060-51537-003 REV A and I believe it was installed recently.

I began to update windows and when I verified it it politely made me aware that the version was pirated so it haulted any further updates and gave me a permanent happy window on my desktop. Under the pressure of being a criminal I bought the Windows XP software to reinstall however over night the computer crashed somehow. Perhaps from downloading some files from piratebay and it activated a virus.

I am finding the same problem as several on many forums but have not been able to find a solution based off of my systems BIOS version. If I do nothing but load up the computer and let it run it goes to the windows xp startup then restarts and stays in a loop. When I put in my windows xp cd it tells me "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer". And when I hit F8 right before the Windows it gives me the "a problem has been detected.... STOP: 0x0000007b"

A solution that seemed to work for others was "
    Select Drives:
    Make sure your Diskette Drive (3.5 floppy) is set properly (Usually set to Internal)
    Make sure that "Drive 0: SATA-0" drive is set to "ON"

Go to "SATA Operation":

Your system proabaly came set to "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" - THIS SETTING CAUSES YOUR SYSTEM TO GO INTO AN IDE LOOP AND DOESN'T ALLOW IT TO FIND YOUR FACTORY INSTALLED SATA DRIVE.

CHANGE THE SATA OPERATION SETTING TO "COMBINATION"" But this configuration is for a DELL and I can't seem to find similar settings in my BIOS v02.54 (C) 1985-2003, American Megatrends. And I'd like to install new drivers with F6 when I begin the Windows process but I don't know where to find the proper driver for my systems Hard Drive to burn an image to a disk and re-install that way.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks and I hope I gave enough detailed info on top of my attempted story based analysis. Let me know if there is more information needed to help with this problem.

Cheers,

Alex

Re: setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

You can get into bios and "load fail safe defaults", it will reset the bios without any raid settings. If that isnt working, then you can wipe the drive with a CD.floppy that has fdisk on it because there is too much crap on the drive. Open the computr and find out what mobo and video is installed so that you can get the proper drivers before installing XP.

You have to set the bios to boot first from the CD drive. After that if there is not CD in the drive, then it will not try to boot from it and will go to the next device in the list in the BIOS. After that insert your SP Disk in the drive and boot from it. When you see the "Press Any key to boot from CD, press any key" message, then delete and recreate the partitions. And then go ahead with the installation of the new XP OS.